Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nothing Less Than Amazing.
By Izzy

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I wanted it since my parents brought it home that night, after spending all day at multiple dealerships. After convincing my parents that if they wouldn't sell it to me I would just go and buy an identical one, they finally sold it to me for $5K. It's now 12 years old and still running strong with absolutely no problems. The muffler rusted itself a 3" gash in it, but I'm not at all upset. I like the sound, which kind of burbles like a Subaru Impreza, but I might buy a Cherry Bomb muffler, then a K&N FIPK Intake. Overall, the truck is flawless and I have no plans on selling it. If something breaks, I'll replace it, but there is no way I'd sell this truck without a fight.

Favorite Features

Everything about the truck makes me happy. I think that the gas mileage is good for a truck, and the truck's 2.4L is pretty zippy if need be.

Suggested Improvements

None at all, other than aftermarket parts. I plan on a 3" lift with a possible straight axle conversion, a K&N FIPK Intake w/ Snorkel, a roll cage (safety first), and some bigger wheels and tires, but other than that I like it the way it is. My daily driver.

Bullet Proof to the End
By snyder_man

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my second small Yota pickup and it proves again that you can't go wrong in the reliability department with a Toyota. Needs a new clutch at 145K miles but other than brakes that is the only non routine maintainence I can remember in 12 years of ownership. One tune up and 2 brake jobs and 1 clutch in 12 years, can't beat that. It has never left me stranded.

Favorite Features

Great ability in the snow. Reasonable mileable for a 4x4. Never have to worry about it, gas and go for 12 years and I don't baby it.

Suggested Improvements

More room inside, intermit wipers and clock would have been nice on the base SR5 model. Rough ride but it's a truck.

Toyota Quality
By LB

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

The 2WD Tacoma has been a great truck and I plan to keep it forever as a work truck (landscaping, hauling, etc.).

Favorite Features

The extra cab was great when my son was young, providing extra seating capacity. The extra storage behind the seat has been great. The V6 is quick and the engine has been very reliable, with only a starter change - no other mechanical needs.

Amazing!
By jim

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

My ratings are based on this truck's performance in its best days. 4cyl, 4 spd, basic model. Sadly, at 310,000 miles it's begining to decline. I bought it with 4500 miles and since then all that's been replaced other than the usual things is the starter - NOTHING ELSE! Clutch began to slip at 290,000; AC broke at 295,000 but that's it! I'm having to downshift a lot to get it up hills but it's been a phenomenal vehicle. I just sold an '03 fully equipped 4wd CrewCab Tacoma with almost 100k that looked and performed like new. Sad to see it go but I didn't need a fancy commuter anymore. Hope our '01 Sequoia will perform as well even with all its fancy stuff.

Favorite Features

Reliabilty.

Suggested Improvements

It's a basic hauler - nothing else needed. Only hope the newer ones will do as well.

Unbreakable?
By niugreg

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Words can't describe how happy I've been with this truck. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I'm nearing 205,000 and it is just as solid as the day I brought it home. I was hoping to get 200k with it, but now I'm shooting for 400k before I even think about replacing it. No rust, no rattles, nothing leaks and no major problems. Last brake job lasted 3.5 years and 83,000 miles... amazing!

Favorite Features

high ride

Suggested Improvements

none