1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Tuff Yoda
By MBW on 06/08/06 09:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Wow, this has been the best vehicle i have ever owned. I feel it has a very attractive body style compared to other small trucks, and I can overtake every small truck I race (V-6). I have gone on multiple road trips across the US with no problems. This truck has NEVER left me stranded. I would certainly buy another one, however gas is getting a little expensive. Overall, a darn good buy!

Solid
By T White on 10/27/05 09:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Purchased my truck new in March 1996 and put 41,000 miles on it within the first 8 months (driving between Charleston WV and Washington DC every weekend)... Truck now has 155K miles on it and still runs as good as ever... Only minor problems to date: Broken leaf spring, replaced starter, replace oxygen sensor, replace gearbox lubricant. Wouldn't own any other brand of truck... Next up would be a Tundra, but not till this little gem wears out, maybe 2027!!!

Dependable Tonka
By Thai on 10/13/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for a few years. The only major maintenance was the starter. I have started to take it from LA to San Francisco. Tight fit on the inside. I agree I feel the bumps in the road. Mine is automatic and it is starting to feel rough in fourth gear.

Awesome
By John on 09/14/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

1996 Toyota Tacoma bought with 30,000 miles and it runs like a top! I have put 140,000 on it since i have owned it, keep the oil changed regularly and the truck gives me no problems. It does great for climbing in 4 wheel drive and does great to and from work for gas mileage. GET A TOYOTA TACOMA!

For a little truck, I love it.
By Bob on 05/21/05 09:10 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has been great. The truck was bought with 40k miles,and now has 267k. The only problem has been the catalytic converter, I am now on my 3rd. Beyond that, everything has been great, just regular maintenance. I am starting to feel a slight slip in the transmission when I shift from reverse to drive. The ride is not the most comfortable, ever since I bought the truck, I have felt every bump and crack in the road. I love this truck and feel it has gone well above and beyond what was expected of it.

yota goes far
By shris on 02/08/05 14:40 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I currently own a '96 tacoma and it has been the best truck I've ever owned!! What tacoma lacks in size and power it more than make up by delivering in toughness, dependability, and most important FUN! Tacoma is such a great truck I am about to buy a '05 tacoma to satisfy my cravings for 245 hp!!! Thank you toyota, keep those tacoma improvements comming.

Reliable little truck
By IAGuy on 01/12/05 23:01 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am the original owner of this truck with 100k. The only non maint. item was the starter. 30mpg, tight turning radius. Downside: bland looks, cramped interior, terrible seats. Also has high wind/road noise and is easily blown about by high winds.

Great Buy
By Toy4Life on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used just over a year ago and it was the best vehicle i have ever owned. I used to drive a 1991 toyota 4x4 and i loved it, but this Tacoma is miles above!! Plenty of power for hauling, and it is just a great looking truck!!!

Great little truck
By tacolover on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

Absolutely reliable, fun to drive, good gas mileage. I expect I will get another 10 years out of it, easily.

Like A Dream
By BroncoTBone on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my 1996 Tacoma a few months ago, and have had nothing but beautiful experiences with it. It drives very well, has a buttery smooth (if a little stiff) manual tranny. The ride is a little harsh, but it's a truck, not a Lexus. It tackles gnarly dirt trails, and twisty mountain pavement with equal tenacity. The V6 is tremendously flexible, and has a wide, useful powerband. The only complaint I have is the lack of power options (windows, mirrors) but I didn't buy the truck new, so I can't whine too much. I'd recommend a Tacoma to anyone who needs a capable light truck.