1999 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Amazing Gem of a vehicle
By scott2011 on 05/19/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I thought I would never be a mini van family. I started out with a excursion for my family of 5-WAY TO THIRSTY and doesn't drive near as fun/GREAT as a Sienna. I drove a 04 Sienna than a 06 absolutely LOVED the way they handled, felt, and drove. I looked high and low for a a 04 or newer in my price range 11K it was not happening then I came across my new 99 Sienna XLE-I had my doubts at 1st. I didn't drive a 99 and with 159K mls??. THE XLE has beautiful leather seats and it still drove like it just came off the show room floor. These Sienna's are so remarkable do not short change yourself and settle with competition without driving Sienna first. It is truly a luxury mini above the rest.

Just Turned 200,000!
By jeds on 09/06/09 23:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Normal maintenance, some extra cleaning of rear breaks, regular synthetic oil changes. Had one handle break at 120,000. Replaced it myself. Starter replaced at 140,000. Luv the car.

Really Great
By fredlisancnc on 07/31/09 21:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Just had 10 year anniversary. Soccer mom. Purchased new. Has been a dream vehicle. Now have 135,000 miles. Drives like luxury vehicle. Has been extremely reliable. Have just needed reg. maintenance, i.e oil changes regularly, 18 month brake jobs, (heavy city travel). On 3rd set of Michelin tires, on 3rd battery. Had to replace motor for power window and an alternator. Am now having timing belt, water pump, and ac and ps belts changed for first time which is normal maintenance. Now in its 10th plus year, starting to have a few issues. Valve gaskets are now leaking oil and need replacement. Repair described is approx. $1000 for belts, wp, and new gaskets with labor. Heavily recommend vehicle.

A brilliant vehicle
By yoda1 on 03/14/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought it new and done 180000K. Only maintenance so far is replacing power steering pump and routine maintenance of brakes and timing belt twice as per schedule. We were so impressed with Sienna,we bought a second Sienna for my wife!

Sliding doors Sienna stuck
By G on 10/24/08 23:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Love our Sienna but the rear sliding passenger doors are a chronic problem. They are difficult to open from the inside as well as the outside. The knob in the interior gets stuck in the "in" position and thus will not open. On the outside we are now using only one door. The other is impossible to open. The frustrating part is that this is not an uncommon problem for the 1999 Sienna yet my incredible frustration with the dealers and Toyota on a national level who have decided that it is not their problem but the customer. Unfortunately having been loyal customers to Toyota and service we will seriously consider a Subaru or Honda on our next purchase of a vehicle. Just cattle at Toyota.

Reliable and safe!
By Scott on 02/25/07 22:12 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought our Sienna used 3 years ago, and have since driven 30K. This van has proven to be more reliable than other manufactures that our neighbors and friends have had. Other than oil changes, we've only replaced the front struts. The tire pressure light was sometimes a bother, but I figured out the reset by reading the manual. Unfortunately, my wife was in a head on collision, and it's unknown if our insurance will fix it or not. However, the airbag worked, and she was back to work the next day with only minor bruises. We plan to get another Sienna if we lose this one. Average MPG was 18, but we often get 25-26 on highway trips.

Most reliable thing on the road!
By Armani on 11/29/06 19:41 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

I bought this minivan in May 99 and got the XLE because of the power door feature which surprised me, but was not happy that the power door needs repairing so soon. So far I have 88k miles and have never encountered problems with the engine because of its perfect realiability. A previous minivan didn't make it up hills had so many problems but the Sienna goes up hills with authority.

great mini van
By Mr.T. on 06/07/06 17:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

all I can say is that I should have bought a Toyota a long time ago. I purchased the van and decided to drive to Cape Cod. I didn't even think twice to drive it twelve hours straight. It went down and back up without any questions. the vehicle ran so smooth that at times I caught myself doing 90 to 95 mph and not even noticing how fast I was traveling. Have a blast if you get one...

Family van
By viennamicro on 04/22/05 22:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Excellent family van - great for trips with 4-6 adults, too. Plenty of passenger room, even with our oversized friend (280 pound linebacker) front and second row.

Super reliable vehicle
By BruceK750 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan

Purchased new in 1999, now has 72000 miles. It has never been back at the dealer since we purchased it. I never thought I would like driving a mini- van, but this Sienna drives like a car. I really enjoy driving it. Excellent gas mileage on the highway- avg mileage in town.