Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Most Helpful|
It's Been Very Good
By Good Around Town

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2009 1.8 4cyl / auto March 2008. I drive 50 miles a day and it has been good on gas 28-30 in town & 32-35 Hyw. The seats looked cheap so I bought some leather seat covers for $20.00 each and they been very comfortable. I have noticed the Paint is very cheap there are lots of chips on the hood ! A bicycle ran into the front when I was parked and pushed the bumper off to the side about 1/2 inch. I wonder how it would be in a real accident? We took a trip from Tulsa, OK. to Whittier, Ca. 3500 miles and had a very nice trip. The 1.8 cyl ran up over all the mountains with cruise control, on and the air conditioner on, and never slowed or had any problem. We're home safe and loved it.

Favorite Features

The electric assist steering and sports car like handling. The Fuel economy and the Price we paid - $14,000.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality paint !!! A higher quality interior !!!

i like it
By dragon

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

taken on 3 long trips over 300 miles each never had any problems w/noise or anything else i find it a joy to drive and still get great mileage approx 28 in town

Favorite Features

the headroom as a woman over 6 ft it makes it wonderful to take on trips and not be uncomfortable even in the back seat

Perfect for me
By 09trix

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I got this car over a year ago to replace my first car, an Oldsmobile that broke down at least once a month. As a young girl in college, I wanted something reliable that also looked nice. I love the unique look of the XRS, the interior is comfy, and everything is easy to use. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the gas mileage in the 2.4L but it's fine for me, I get about 30mpg on the highway. I also LOVE how much space it has; I was able to haul a full-size mattress in it! The only complaint I have is that it's a little cheaply made... the paint flakes off the hood way too easily and the interior scratches very easily. Other than that, no complaints. This car is just what I needed.

Didn't Know What I was Looking For Until I Found It
By tandem2

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I had been looking for a vehicle to give my 2001 Trooper a rest for the work commute. I had driven everything from BMW X3's to the Nissan Cube and was really getting disappointed. Then I got behind the wheeel of a 2009 Matrix XRS with 10k miles on it...WOW! Within 5 minutes I knew that I had found the vehicle I was looking for. Comfortable for my 6 foot frame, sporty, fun to drive, relatively economical and pretty darn practical for the exterior dimensions. It has been 3 months since the purchase and my wife and I are still commenting how pleased we are with the car. We some long (400+ mile) trips coming, and we are looking forward to them. Great job Toyota!

Don't Believe the Negativity
By matrix09lover

2009 Toyota Matrix XRS 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2009 XRX Matrix since the 1st one came into the local showroom in Feb 2008. Positives: I get 27mpg in town & 30-35 on the freeway with the 2.4L engine. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of headroom. I love the smart gears which allow me extra power going up hills or lower gearing for the heavy snows. The storage is great and I've gotten lots of compliments on the rear seats. I love the peppiness and get up and go the car has when getting on the freeway. Cons: Yes, there is a lot of road noise and performance tires needed for the XRS trim are more expensive than regular tires and only last 36K-40K miles at the most. This is a great car. I plan on keeping it a long time.

Suggested Improvements

It would have been nice for the top of the line XRS to have a power seat and for the front passenger seat to have a raise and lower feature same as the driver seat. It can be hard to see out the back due to limited visibility.