Used 2009 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Matrix

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Love my Matrix
By RM

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great performance, so far has been reliable. I've enjoyed driving this car. Handles great. Headrest is very uncomfortable, causes pain in the neck and back. A little hard on fuel. Other than that I would say Matrix is a great car, I have a S AWD.

All, except the headrest.

Headrest is extremely uncomfortable. Would like to get better fuel miles.

Few Problems, but Like Car
By Ms. Doll

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I actually really like my 09 Matrix S, but I have run into a few problems. My seats spot too easily during rainy weather. There is a blind spot in rear window. Gas mileage is not as great as it could be. My stereo keeps blacking out/powering off and is suppose to be replaced next week.

Performance is great. I love my Sundance color. Dealership staff is always great when I take my car in for service.

Better paint, because it does seem to chip easily. Different seat material to prevent so much spotting. Better stereo system to prevent malfunctions.Better gas mileage. Less of a rear blind spot.

2009 Toyota Matrix
By 2009 Toyota Matrix

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my Matrix for one year today and have loved every minute of it. I drove my first Matrix as a rental car in 2005 and had wanted one ever since but did not like the 1.8 liter engine. When I found out that the car had been redesigned in 2009 with a 2.4 liter engine I jumped on the chance to get it. The gas mileage is a little low but is well worth it in my book. I would definitely recommend the Matrix if you want both the hauling capability of a small truck and the ability to haul four people easily.

I love the cargo space the most. I no longer have to rent a truck to haul larger items. My husband is tall so he likes the extra head room. I also like the higher seats. I don't feel like I am getting off of the floor when I climb out of it.

The sport model could get better gas mileage. I got the Metallic Gold/Bronze color and the paint seems to scratch easily. I was offered a paint protection plan during the purchase which I declined. I wish I had gotten it now. Be mindful of that if you choose to purchase Matrix in this color.

It's Been Very Good
By Good Around Town

2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2009 1.8 4cyl / auto March 2008. I drive 50 miles a day and it has been good on gas 28-30 in town & 32-35 Hyw. The seats looked cheap so I bought some leather seat covers for $20.00 each and they been very comfortable. I have noticed the Paint is very cheap there are lots of chips on the hood ! A bicycle ran into the front when I was parked and pushed the bumper off to the side about 1/2 inch. I wonder how it would be in a real accident? We took a trip from Tulsa, OK. to Whittier, Ca. 3500 miles and had a very nice trip. The 1.8 cyl ran up over all the mountains with cruise control, on and the air conditioner on, and never slowed or had any problem. We're home safe and loved it.

The electric assist steering and sports car like handling. The Fuel economy and the Price we paid - $14,000.

Better quality paint !!! A higher quality interior !!!

Reliable and Practical
By axiom

2009 Toyota Matrix S 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I'm echoing what CarParker already mentioned - he has said the best. It really is a sport hatch for the pragmatic. This car feels confident on the highway and quick in the city. I personally prefer the styling of this Matrix to a lot of its competitors out there. They did a great job with the front grill. The suspension is hard and the ride can be rough in the city, but this is expected from a car of this type. Nonetheless, the stability control works well. Brakes are excellent and the seat are very comfortable for me (I'm about 5'11 200 lbs). Comfort is a premium for me since I have issues with my knees for long journeys. Overall, this matrix gives you a smooth ride and great gas mileage.

Plenty of cargo space with hatch, very reliable, looks great (I have the black sand pearl color), practical, good gas mileage, stability control, great pick up from dead stop, and a functional interior. This is a very good bargain.

Rear visibility is a bit lacking. Road noise. The ride in the city can be rough, perhaps different tires or adjust psi? Interior center console can use some sprucing up.