2005 Toyota Matrix Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2005 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

Great! Until 100K...
By mocondo

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a big fan of this car since I bought it new seven years ago. I bought the 5-speed manual base line model. And for the first 100K, the only thing I had to replace were the usual things - tires, battery, brake pads, clutch (in that order). In fact, the clutch didn't start to go until I cleared 110K, and I do a lot of city driving. But. In the last six months, the car has just started falling apart. First the clutch, then the parking brake (twice), the struts, the suspension system, the air conditioner is leaking... I've put more money into this car in the last three months than I did the whole rest of the time I've owned it.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, higher seats than most cars of this class, decent backseat size, incredible cargo capacity, and just awfully dang cute.

Suggested Improvements

I would have put in a better sound system (the factory one is cheap), set the clutch lower (a mechanic can do this for you) and what is up with the hubcap locks? I lost a hubcap every time I hit a pot hole for the first year, at which point I chucked them all and replaced them with Camry ones. Also, the ride was never exceptional, although I never considered it a major issue.

why toyota why
By ctmatrix

2005 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota 5 speed matrix owner--- this car is a great care and i will miss her.This toyota is going on her second transmission at 160k, one trans came with the car the second one came from toyata parts dept new. Toyota says no know problems with 5/speed they must not look online,or why do they stock so many in the wharehouse if there is no problem. I can see clutch problems from many driving styles but the trans imploding and the clutch and p plate and throwout bearing are still fine. Toyota you are on your way to being GM---we do not know anything about your problem. The matrix is a great car buy the automatic-- Toyata will not stand behind the 5/speed Car will go 300k or 3 5/speeds why

Favorite Features

Great car-- everything

Suggested Improvements

Build a 5 speed that will not blow-up Stand behind your product

Peppy little car
By threesa

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Matrix new and have been pretty satisfied with it. It's comfortable (even for passengers), spacious, reliable, and quite peppy. This car is not 4-wheel drive but it easily climbs dirt roads in the mountains. Probably the only fault with it is it doesn't handle inclement weather well at all (I live in the mountains so this posed a serious problem with the snow). I eventually had to put some sandbags down on the passenger foot areas to provide additional weight. Since my usual passengers are 3 dogs, this hasn't encumbered them but, for older children or adults sitting in the back, this would most likely be quite uncomfortable.

Sporty car for year-round fun
By dennyvibes

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Matrix for 6 years in March 2011. I bought it specifically for the all-wheel drive needed for New England winters. The Matrix never gets stuck in the snow, though the standard tires are slippery and you have to drive slowly to keep from skidding in turns, and make sure not to stop too suddenly. It's possible getting standard all-season tires instead of the sportier ones will remedy that. I LOVE driving my Matrix on beaches, sand dunes, and any off-roading I can get. It's so much fun! It holds its own with any 4X4 truck for any typical rugged fun. I just got into an accident in snow on an unplowed road, at a sharp curve, doing down a steep hill. My Matrix kept me safe and sound!

Favorite Features

All-wheel drive, adjustable seat height, fog lights, rear wiper. Car adjusts very comfortably to accommodate me at 5'0" tall and my husband at 6'1" tall.

Suggested Improvements

There is no setting for using the vent on the windshield with CLOSED exhaust. Both vent settings are OPEN exhaust only. Which means if I want my windshield to stay free of fog, I have to breathe in truck and car fumes. This is a MAJOR drawback that will affect what I buy next time I'm in the market for a new car. Even the new Camry, which I have as a loaner car right now, only keeps the exhaust closed for a couple of minutes before automatically shutting it off. So I have to risk taking my eyes off the road every two minutes to press the button to close the exhaust again.

I love my Toyota
By Robert

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have now over 186,000 miles and the only major expense I had was brakes and tires and the rest was just periodic oil changes. I drive this car for work and pleasure. Let me tell you, aside from the so so fuel economy, this is a car that does everything and never lets me down.

Favorite Features

It has a roomy interior. Fun to drive, so so fuel economy and the best of all this car never lets me down!

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion I have is to make the diesel version of the Matrix available!

What happened to Toyota?
By Jeri F.

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I ordered my Toyota Matrix with a 5speed manual trans. I have always driven manual and wanted to continue. My car is 4 years old and I'm installing a new clutch! My last Toyota Corolla was 15 years old and no clutch. I also had to replace the tires at about 15K miles. I had a little Chevy S10 p/u with manual trans and it was great except I wanted more interior. It was 5 years and I didn't have to replace anything. What has happened to Toyotas? I'm so disappointed.

Favorite Features

hauling room - plastic back

Suggested Improvements

Spend the money to build the cars like Toyota used to do. I sure paid for a quality car.

Great car for tall people
By HL

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have 90,000 miles on this car and love it. Drove cross-country with 6'5" husband and had plenty of space for us and other large items. Mileage more than 36 mi/gal. Thanks.

Favorite Features

36+ miles per gallon, height of interior

Suggested Improvements

better tires--need snow tires for winter driving, better defroster

Needs work
By meg

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Has been very reliable, gas mileage could def. be better for such a small vehicle. Family of four is comfortable on short travel, bit cramped in long travel. Does have good capacity in hatch to carry things. Many issues with interior, but none mechanically. Very loud street noise and is very rough ride as all Toyota's are in my opinion. Overall have 80,000 miles on it and going strong! No mechanical issues what so ever. Tires were replaced within 1st year. All cars should be standard equipped with back window wiper as it is a huge danger to not have one like me! It stays filthy because of design and mix filth with fog or rain and no wiper and you got problems! Dependability you can't beat!

Favorite Features

Mechanically sound

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holders need a revamp as does most everything in the interior! Radio very low quality! Paint needs improvement. Seat fabric needs thought! Road noise...Please minimize!!

Great Little Car
By Morgan

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I Bought my Matrix as a replacement for my 99 Tacoma which Toyota bought back for 150% of its worth due to warranty. The car was paid for in cash. Was my first non truck it had plenty of space and good power as long as you don't go up any steep hills. My only 2 probs were that the car would sometimes crank for 30-40 seconds before starting to solve the problem the dealership replaced the fuel pump and it worked for about a month and started doing it again. and when it was totaled a year later I got $5000 less than I paid for it the year before.

Favorite Features

Small, Sporty, Fuel efficient, nuf said.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, Bring the stick closer to the center console, Just a bit more power, Total loss value

1.8 Auto FWD
By gordon k laurie

2005 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have 109k km (now 2009). Very functional, mechanically very sound, and will be difficult to replace. Watch the blind spots (thick windshield posts, small mirrors). Factory tires plain dangerous on wet/slush/snow. Road noise is high (even with undercoating). Single disk CD had to be replaced (jumped tracks). Sluggish initial acceleration but o.k. at highway speed (to be expected for 1.8). Signal light doesn't cancel with less than full turns (nuisance).

Favorite Features

No mechanical problems while on warranty-just routine maintenance. One factory fault-starter would engage but would not start. Once attended to, problem solved. Has been a great little car.

Suggested Improvements

Factory tires were plain dangerous-hydro-planed when hitting standing pools of water (not very deep) on city/highway roads. Very poor grip on ice/slush. Replaced at 50k km with good quality Goodyear and handling was much better. At 109k km, front brakes were 8mm and back 4mm (not good).