Used 2005 Toyota Corolla CE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great Reliable Car!
By The Doll

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After car shopping in 2005, the Toyota Corolla seemed to be the best economical and fuel efficient car that I saw. Since I bought it, the car has not given me any problems. However, I do make sure it gets its regular maintenance. I truly recommend a Toyota Corolla for reliability.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficient and rides smooth.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights should be able to able to manually turn off. You can't turn them off on your own. The cost of power windows were $1k more so it could be less expensive.

Fantastic car
By LKiller

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When purchasing this car, I had no other choices. I'm a 19 year old with limited credit, and no cosigners. I hardly even know how to drive a standard. Once I stepped into this 5 speed Corolla, I'm not going to lie, it's kept me pleased ever since I've had it. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I've wanted to master the standard way of driving. Car is great to drive, performance wise, its not STI, but still has good acceleration and power for only 128 horse I think. Car does get a bit unstable in the 75mph mark or on a windy day. Feels too light for its own good. However, car is perfect for someone that just needs to get from point A to point B and have a good time doing so.

Favorite Features

The speakers aren't as good as my kickers and woofers in my last car, but pretty impressive for stock speakers. Plus, I just learned what an engine immobilizer is and I'm glad it has that.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had power everything. Not going to lie, I'm lazy and after my last two cars, I'm pretty sick of rolling up or down my window and pushing in or pulling up the lock. I don't care for a sunroof, but some power options would be nice. Cruise control as well please.

Count On It!
By wtm

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with a 5 speed. Never have had it back to the dealership with any problems. Has enough stuff to get up to freeway speed safely (with some to spare). Road noise noticeable on chip- seal surfaces, but otherwise quite good. Put brakes on @ about 160,000 miles. Have never had to align vehicle and tires still wear evenly. I change oil/filter regularly (about every 5,000 miles) and don't use more than a 1/2 quart between changes. Will pass 200,000 miles this week. My driving is 70/30 freeway/city and I consistently get 35 to 37 mpg. Have gotten as high as 42.5 mpg on long trips. The epitome of function over style. Will buy another one after I have 300,000 miles on this one

Good small car
By SJN

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/10k mi. Likes: Fuel economy, 38 mpg (70% hwy). Comfortable seats, roomy interior, good trunk room with fold down rear seat back feature, good acceleration & power w/5 speed manual trans, & good ride on most roads. Dislikes: OEM Gdyr Integrity tires were worn out at 20,000 mi. Replaced with Gdyr Triple-Treds. These seem to be wearing much better but are noisier. Road noise is annoying,especially over coarse pavement. Wind and engine noise are also very noticeable at highway speeds.The radio sound distorts at higher volume (cheap speakers) and is nearly useless at highway speeds when competing with the road noise. The CD player sometimes skips when I hit a bounce.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride with good handling, good engine power (with/AC off), nice styling (front end looks like a Lexus IS), good fit & finish. Excellent overall fuel economy (beats a lot of smaller sub-compact cars)

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel. Add more road noise insulation,better door seals to reduce wind noise,and under the hood to reduce engine noise at highway speeds). Add better quality radio speakers to base model. Upgrade the seat material. It is already showing wear at 2 yrs & 45k mi.

Good but Not Great
By Good but not Great

2005 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is a great car. Fun to drive, a lot of pep for a car this size (without A/C, and only driver). Good design, holds up well. Got the car Feb 2005 - and it has 90,000 miles on it Sept 2008. No Major complaints, would recommend to anyone. Had to get the ECU changed within the first couple of months because it was hard to start. The tires wore extremely bad on edge even after Toyota Dealership aligned them Only 16K on 60K tires. Got them aligned recently and it has been much better. Passenger window rattles at any speed. Also the idle/tensioner pulley makes ticking noises and has been replaced 5 times, yes five times. Without the extended warranty I'm sure this would probably be costly.

Favorite Features

6-CD changer is awesome, overall looks and dependability are high

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical issues (idle/tensioner pulley), better noise reduction from road noises and rattles/and other various noises