Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best Car in History
By huaiti323

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $4000 almost 3 years ago. have changed only tires, filters and the serpentine. The a/c is amazing, the MPG are great. The only problems are cosmetic like the center drawer door broke and the interior roof covering is peeling off. I bought it in Florida and recently shipped it to Puerto Rico and it is still unstoppable with 168,000 miles and counting!

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability and the A/C

Suggested Improvements

Nothing but the interios ceiling thing!!!

Love this car!
By willkeepitforever

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

My husbands car has almost 200,000 mi on it and you just can't kill it! It just goes forever if you keep up with oil changes every 3k and proper maint. I just wish they would make it roomier for people up to 5'8" -6' tall. That is truly the only complaint. I am only too happy to get a small economical car that is a good buy! Not to mention tremendous resale value. I spoke to two owners that have sold their 1999 Toyota Corolla's between $2,300.00 - 3,200.00. Just goes to show the public still has confidence in Toyota! I used to be a Honda person, but switched to Toyota after two of my Honda's needed a Transmission at 180,000 mi. - Bye Bye Honda! Just bought two more Toyotas for my family

Favorite Features

Excellent factory installed stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more leg room.

Outstanding
By Jacob

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I received this car from my aunt and uncle when I got my license. Since then, it's been in 2 wrecks (1 major, 1 minor) and it's still going strong. The mpg are amazing. I can get to and from Toledo (about 2 hour drive both ways) with only $20 bucks.

Favorite Features

Mpg, great in snow, handles nice, durability

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back seat, real sized spare tire(not that doughnut thing, not good if you get a flat), taller middle compartment

This car is amazing!
By rodnygil

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, gas mileage (30+mpg), reliability, sound system, interior quality, its paid for :)

Suggested Improvements

Slow but its an older model, does not handle well in the snow. I really can't complain about anything.

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

Favorite Features

This is a bare bones car. If you want the fancy extras, go for the CE or LE.

Suggested Improvements

Considering this is a bare bones car, there is not much to ask for. The only thing I would like to have is OD on the 3spd automatic. If you want a light in your trunk, get one of the LED stick on lights at the autoparts store. Toyota has had EVAp issues with these cars and should fix the defects.