Used 2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

Celicas Are So Fun To Drive
By Tiffywiffy0503

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing but great things to say about Celicas. I love mine and haven't had any problems with it! So many people tell me how nice my car is. It is the best looking sporty car that gets such good gas mileage! It's got a lot of horse power for a 4 cylinder. I plan to keep my Celica for years to come!

Dash lights, the pep and the seats.

It could use more head and leg space.

Great in the beginning
By Kurtis Rich

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I loved it when I first bought it but after a while the car started acting up. One problem after another and there's a long list of problems but some of them are: trunk started rattling, the brake caliper on the rear driver side kept putting too much pressure on the pads and it would wear out more than the others. The DRL sensor also messed up. They also had a recall on the headlights. I'm not an aggressive driver or anything but I've put about 86,000 miles on it and the engine block cracked. I quickly trashed this car after that because I really hated it. So much for Toyota's reliability

Leather seats, tight suspension.

Lots of things. Take out the daytime running lights, more space in the engine (it's too crammed & hard to replace bulbs). Good thing they stopped making it.

Amazingly Reliable!!
By mddrum1

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the car in '04 with 19K and now have 64K. Only had to change a serpentine belt, tires, and oil. The hatchback lets me carry a 5 piece Pearl Export drum kit with ease. What other coupe can manage that? Fun to drive, very responsive and extremely tight turn radius. Great stock sound system!

Hatchback, 6th gear, reliability.

Brighter interior light, more comfortable seats.

Reliable, Light-Weight, Easily Tuned
By ChrisDG

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable. In 7 years, I've changed the battery once, and at 141,000 kms, the front brakes finally needed service. Back brakes they tell me have half the original material. I wanted a firmer suspension and a bit more hp, so I gave it a light tuning: AEM cold air intake, TRD cat-back system, shocks, lowering springs, and sway bars. The car ride extremely firm, but: a) never bottoms-out; b) it's much safer with a terrific grip (Toyota claims 0.90 with my set up) and lane change capability (+5 mi/h). I've no use for a back seat except to reduce insurance costs and carry my laptop. At 6'1", I can lie flat in the front. I've also carried a 78" x 30" sheet of acrylic in the back.

Light weight (stock 2425 lbs), makes this car very nimble. A hatchback makes it also very versatile.

Cold air intake and cat-back system totally eliminated any sign of lag when you press the gas. The low growl is not only fun, but also a safety factor in many situations. The suspension changes provide perfect ground clearance but can shake your car loose on rough streets. Only regret is no leather.

Great Car
By Dave

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our GT new in 2001. It has been extremely reliable, and is a blast to drive! When engaged in heavy highway traffic you can drop the automatic out of overdrive and power thru traffic. Mileage is awesome, around 34 mpg, and the styling turns heads. I don't understand why this car is being discontinued, as we would sure buy another. There is too much fun to be had at a very reasonable price. Lots of storage with the seats folded down. Good car for two people, not four.

Exterior looks and the roomy front seat.

The spoiler creates a huge blind spot.

• SUV