2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:
One of the best cars I have ever owned
By m3matt on 03/28/14 17:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS back in 2004 or 05, cant remember. I bought it from the Toyota Dealership as a certified used car and had roughly 50K miles on it. Had the car for about 5 years. I always changed the oil at regular intervals as well as other routine maintenance. I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work for over 3 years. Also weekly trips for 4 years to visit my girlfriend on the weekends who lived over 100 miles each way. In the summer of 2010 the car was in an accident and totaled. I had over 240K miles on it and it still had the same power as the day i bought it. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 185K miles but that happens on any manual.

Love This Car!
By markusknight on 02/25/14 13:35 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 Toyota Celica from my uncle with 180,000 miles on it. It now has 2,000 more miles since, and still runs the same as when I bought it, aside from a slight leak that started in one tire. There's a slight delay in the accelerator, the 'check engine' light is always on, and the left door doesn't lock automatically. Despite this, it starts perfectly in -15 F weather and has not had any engine problems since I got it. I love this car and, with a little TLC, it will continue to be reliable for years to come.

LOVE my Celica!! So sad I have to give her away :(
By pharmstud91 on 05/29/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought from a private seller in 2005 and I could not be any happier with it. It had 27,000 miles then and has 117,000 miles now with absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only money spent on this car is oil changes, tires, and the fuel gage detector (wasn't expensive). Gets amazing gas mileage but definitely struggles to get up to speed and up hills which is to be expected from a 4-cylinder. Handling is perfect, could turn a U-turn on a dime, and super fun to drive. There is definitely a lack of space if you want to fit more than 2.5 people in there. I am 6' tall though and have had no issues besides ducking down due to it being so close to the ground. Great car!!!

Buy it...if you can fix it.
By krustuhfar on 02/19/13 23:10 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle looks and performs pretty well. But its a huge money pit. Big thumbs down. So much for the reliability for toyota. I bought mine brand new and before i had even hit 100k i had already replaced the clutch twice, tension pulley, water pump, and the sunroof leaks TERRIBLY. and i only drive it about 400 miles a month. I would never buy this car again.

OIL ISSUES ON THIS CAR
By kimgtk on 06/11/12 16:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off a used car dealer. I had it 30 days. NO engine light ever came on, but the oil was dry and the engine is blown because of it. I checked on recalls and even though this seems to be a common problem (on the boards) there are not any recalls. I checked with the seller and they said I bought it as is, which I did. I am stuck with a loan for this car and the engine is blown. I'm very dissapointed and upset. I would never buy this car .....ever!

Ten Years Old...Going Strong
By foodle on 11/12/11 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car three months ago for a commuter to and from work. It had 107,000 at time of purchase and now has 110,000. This car is amazing. It runs great, has plenty of power and everything works. Plus I'm getting 32 mpg! How many American made cars are still on the road after 10 years and look and run as good as this one?

2002 Toyota Celica Malfunctions!
By kb85 on 02/16/11 13:50 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My toyota celica has many probs that seem to be common with celicas of different yrs. My belt needs replacing, my lights always burn out simultaneously (no way they could die at exact same time!), just got into an accident last night and my seatbelt never locked and my airbags never deployed! Now I am suffering from injury from bouncing off my steering wheel that could've and should've been prevented. Wanted ppl to know in case they are considering purchasing a celica or if anyone knows of legal action I should persue. Thank You.

Disappointed in Toyota engine issues
By KM on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I also have a 2001 Toyota celica --- with only 70k mileage - has had regular servicing. Oil changes etc. Now I have an engine noise in the transmission, new transmission is needed $3500.00 with a clutch as a bonus. I am so disappointed in Toyota. I used to love my Toyota until today

love this car
By jamie on 02/10/10 13:57 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this, car i think that it ts one of the best cars that Toyota has built. It is small so you can fit almost anywhere on the rode, and it is a nice looking affordable car. I think that Toyota idi a great job in building this car.

01 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Auto.
By Christina_Pittsburgh on 01/21/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

There isn't enough space to say how much I love this car. Bought used with 43000 miles on it, it still felt brand new. After 7 years and pushing 170000 miles, it still has kick in the horsepower dept. and handling is stiff and reliable. If it weren't for my daughter and the lack of space in the back seat I would definitely by an '05. Why would they discontinue this sporty, affordable, and I think beautiful and originally styled car? After 7 years, I'm still in love with it.