Used 2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

The most fun I've ever had in a car
By gigi1974

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My 01 turns 15 years old this January. It has almost 180k on the odo and has had all maintenance Toyota suggested; all done at dealerships or buy a certified Toyota/Lexus mechanic. I have recently decided to mod into a show car. This car runs like new has minor rock chips and leather wear. At 15 as it sits, it's an A+ ride. The handling is outstanding, braking excellent, and acceleration is exillerating. This is by far the most fun I have ever had driving a car.

It's very red. 6 speed transmission, leather, sound system, and best of all sun roof!

Better seating. Front seats take a lot of tinkering to get comfy and good clutching while still seeing to road. The back seats just need a lil head room and a bit of knee space.

Awesome!
By celiboy

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got this as my first car. Love the styling! Very beautiful car. The styling is great but this car is quite slow. It is not very fast in a straight line at all, but when you get to some corners it really comes alive! This car handles extremely well! For me it makes up in handling for what it lacks in power. Great first car for anyone. Get the manual! Great gas milage. I love this car very much.

The seats are amazing in this car. Love the weight in the steering. The 2400lb weight.

More power! Better tires! Brakes lack sharpness. Padding on the center armrest.

One of the best cars I have ever owned
By m3matt

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2001 Celica GTS back in 2004 or 05, cant remember. I bought it from the Toyota Dealership as a certified used car and had roughly 50K miles on it. Had the car for about 5 years. I always changed the oil at regular intervals as well as other routine maintenance. I used to drive over 100 miles a day to and from work for over 3 years. Also weekly trips for 4 years to visit my girlfriend on the weekends who lived over 100 miles each way. In the summer of 2010 the car was in an accident and totaled. I had over 240K miles on it and it still had the same power as the day i bought it. Only thing I ever had to do was replace the clutch at 185K miles but that happens on any manual.

Great on gas and pretty peppy for the 1.8L engine.

I just wish they would have kept making them. They really are a good car,

Love This Car!
By markusknight

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT-S 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2001 Toyota Celica from my uncle with 180,000 miles on it. It now has 2,000 more miles since, and still runs the same as when I bought it, aside from a slight leak that started in one tire. There's a slight delay in the accelerator, the 'check engine' light is always on, and the left door doesn't lock automatically. Despite this, it starts perfectly in -15 F weather and has not had any engine problems since I got it. I love this car and, with a little TLC, it will continue to be reliable for years to come.

LOVE my Celica!! So sad I have to give her away :(
By pharmstud91

2001 Toyota Celica Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought from a private seller in 2005 and I could not be any happier with it. It had 27,000 miles then and has 117,000 miles now with absolutely no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only money spent on this car is oil changes, tires, and the fuel gage detector (wasn't expensive). Gets amazing gas mileage but definitely struggles to get up to speed and up hills which is to be expected from a 4-cylinder. Handling is perfect, could turn a U-turn on a dime, and super fun to drive. There is definitely a lack of space if you want to fit more than 2.5 people in there. I am 6' tall though and have had no issues besides ducking down due to it being so close to the ground. Great car!!!

Fun to drive, amazing gas mileage, cheap maintenance, never any mechanical problems

More space if you're going to include a back seat, better parts on the lift suspension