Used 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Great Car!
By BLF

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a great car.

Great car but there is a smell from vents
By CraigNelson

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/13 (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great vehicle but there is a common issue with Toyota cars of having smelly vents. There is even a class action lawsuit

An outstanding vehicle that deserves consideration
By FrenchFry

This is my first hybrid. I choose it because I am 6'-3" tall, 250 lbs and although I like small cars, I have a long commute and wanted something comfortable to drive. I can honestly say I am always impressed when I drive this car. I drive 170 miles a day so the miles add up quickly. I consistently achieve between 38 and 40 MPG. I have kept gas receipts since new and have now mastered how to achieve that mileage daily. The hybrid system is fantastic. The system engages frequently until 40 mph and then it is gas only above 40 to 45 mph. So in town driving increases gas mileage above 40 mpg. Traffic jams are a breeze as the system regenerated upon braking. The electric AC compressor is fantastic (there is no fan belt) so running the AC in electric only mode is unnoticeable and does not suck up all the juice. Eco mode reduces the amount of electricity consumed and I use it all the time. It helps increase the mileage. It cycles the AC a little slower but I live in Texas where it is really, really hot. The system works great. I now have over 37,000 miles on the car and I have not had one issue! Not even a squeak or rattle. Only regular oil changes and frequent tire rotation as you should do on any car. Now to the meat and potatoes....the battery. I have read many posts but I know when the time comes (and it will) to change the battery, I am not worried. Toyota has so many of these cars on the road (including tons of taxis:Chicago) that a battery swap is a 2 hour ordeal. Check you tube and you will see how simple it really is. Secondary battery (non-toyota) manufacturers (Dorman Products) are refurbishing the packs and the general cost is under $2,300 now with a core exchange. A handy homeowner can do this themselves. Many hybrid shops have now popped up in major cities that now offer quick replacement or battery diagnostic services. Additionally, major retailers such as Napa Auto Parts and others can order you the pack which as of 2016 is between $1,800 and $2,300. Think about this...I have taken many cars to the shop for repairs (which I could not do myself) and walked out with a $1,500 bill. Going to Toyota and asking for a new battery pack is just plain STUPID! A $0.59 screw at Auto Zone costs $7.50 at Toyota! Any reputable mechanic can do this simple battery swap. Also, I have read some posts about the brakes. Regenerative brakes work different than regular brakes. Simply put, an additional "zone" is built into the pedal. The first 1/4" push on the pedal is for the regenerative process. The other 3/4 is for regular braking. Any hybrid has this system. Getting used to it takes a day or two. After that, it becomes intuitive. The brakes on my car are excellent. When the time comes to brake, they grab hard and stop the car well. The rest of the car is standard Toyota Camry stuff. You can read about that on the regular Camry reviews. I am absolutely thrilled with this car. I bought it at the right price and time (November) so I have already recouped some of my investment. I would definitely buy another one now that I understand how they truly work. And they are also FAST. The electric motor kicks in when needed for extra power such as up a highway ramp and such. This is probably the most underrated "sleeper" car in existence because Toyota wants to sell you a Prius. Do yourself a favor. Pick the Camry over the Prius. Larger, safer car. More comfortable. Easier battery swap. I'll give up the extra 8 mpg for that any day.

Reliabile, good mileage, low maintenance vehicle
By DeeVoe

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan SE Limited Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I find little reason to purchase cars like a Camry, Accord, or Civic or Corolla for any other reason but for commuting. They're applicances to achieve a goal of getting from A to B on a regular basis. Why people judge these cars for their roadholding or acceleration numbers is silly, or level of luxury appointments and usage of top shelf materials.

I got the car for commuting and it accomplishes that for me with ease, no flash or gust. I've been able to achieve better mpg than what's posted. I could have gotten a Prius or Insight for better mpg's but wanted more comfort and room, and also something that at least resembles a car.

It rides comfortably. For the purpose of a commuter car, I can't really flaw the lack of a sporty feel. Compared to its rival, the Accord, I have to say I like the steering feel and more taut suspension in my girlfriend's '15 Accord after driving my Camry. Not a dealbreak for me. On the Camry, I'm not a fan of the lack of steering feel. I hate the brakes (although I'm not sure if this is a hybrid thing or not. but I hate the brake feel). Hard to explain how it feels, for me at least, but it's my biggest gripe.

I'm content with driving knowing I'm not spending a ton on gas and I'm not worrying about the car breaking no matter how many miles I pile on. I'm fine blending in with the thousands and thousands of other Camry's on the road. I'm not one to like attention. This car serves a purpose just like a washing machine or refrigerator, and nothing more nor less.

Lots of pep!
By priusdriver101

This CH has all of the pep of a V-6, yet gets 38 MPG. This car is amazing. We got the XLE (Bought New) with every option but the premium nav system. The nav/entune leaves something to be desired. Complaint: You can't enter anything while driving and the voice commands are terrible. The seats are pretty good, but they do get stiff on long drives. Overall, this is an affordable, reliable car that will last you a lifetime. Don't worry about the battery failure, because by the time that happens, you will have saved enough money to pay for it and have plenty left over (They last 250,000+ miles). Save the environment, and save yourself money. Win/win!

Pep, cypress pearl paint, MPG, Cushy ride, backup cam., environmental savings, money savings.

Seats are a bit hard after riding for awhile, and nav doesn't let you enter anything while driving. Useless voice commands.