2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
2 problems, engine noise and battery problem
By bigmac5 on 01/21/12 08:39 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Over all, good car. When started in the morning and accelerating up the hill where I live, makes a sound like the old valve lifter lash before hydraulic valve lifters. 2nd problem is the starter would not rotate when first pushing starter button, but did on susequent trys. Found 1/2 x 2 inch corosion under the cover on the positive post of the battery and cable. Toyota replaced altenator with rebult one and replaced cable connector. Similiar problem about 3 weeks later. Replaced termial connector again. 3 weeks later now and begining to corrode again.

Love My Avalon
By ceejay921 on 08/03/11 11:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an Avalon XL last year as a Christmas gift for me but unfortunately totaled it in an accident. My husband and I were so impressed with how well the inside cabin kept us safe, that we had to buy another one. I purchased the Limited model last month and I am loving this car and all of the perks that come along with it! This model rides even smoother than my first one and can fit the entire family with ease. I recommend the Avalon to anyone looking for a comfortable ride at a great price.

Love My Avalon
By TonyR on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my 09 Avalon. I use to buy nothing but Lincolns and switched over to Avalon in 2004, this was the best vehicle i have ever driven in the 40 so what years of driving. For some reason the 04 overpowered all the vehicles i have driven. I try to trade every three years to keep my cost value up. I have been driving my 09 now for for 19 months now and love it. I m getting anxious to see what the next new model year design is like and if i like it ill be trading in a flash! Keep up the good work Toyota!

Steering Wheel always unlocking!
By Mimi on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

What a great disappointment with my 2009 Toyota Avalon limited. This is my first and last Toyota. Had the mat / sticking pedal situation be disclosed earlier when known, I would NEVER have gotten this car. My steering wheel unlocks a couple of times a week. Brought into service center and they couldn't find anything wrong! Driving along and steering wheel just drops!! Tried to get rid of car but no one wants it!! I thought Toyota held his value but with all the problems lately, it's a 50% sale for trade-ins! Going to get rid of it as soon as I can!

I like my 09 avalon limited but....
By Derek on 03/17/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Seats are too hard, gps is a rip off, people. How Dare you Toyota can continue 2003 made gps installing in 08, 09, 10 models. We paid for what? Crap. You should update it if you charge people $2,000 for it. I really like that car but for sure it's overpriced. No question about it.

Help!
By george hooper on 07/12/09 22:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I paid $36,000 for my 2009 Avalon. I will not drive it. It has 3000 miles on it. On 8 occasions the car has lurched forward after brakes were applied. One accident occurred costing me $500 deduct. I was in the bank line when the brakes failed. Car started moving forward. Brakes would not stop the car. Toyota dealers say they cannot find a problem. Both my husband and brother have experienced same problem driving this vehicle. Dealers say no other person has reported anything similar. The car is just too dangerous to drive. I am lucky I have not been injured or have injured someone else.

Lurches forward
By judy hooper on 07/07/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Would love 2009 Avalon except for one major problem. At unexpected times after I brake the car begins to move forward. This has happened to 3 different drivers. I cannot stop this forward movement. It caused me to rear end another car at a band drive through. Toyota dealers will not acknowledge problem since they cannot duplicate problem. Car has 3000 miles on it and I am afraid to drive it. I have been told that I am the first person to report this in the U.S. I feel robbed. This is going to happen again.

Why Lexus when you can have an Avalon?
By CB on 05/11/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car should be getting more attention by industry pundits. My 09 Avalon is a lot more car than I ever expected. The standard options are generous for a car costing under 34K. The ride and handling is responsive and not at all "Buick like". The Avalon V6 with the 6 speed transmission is quick and the tap shift adds a bit of fun. Why buy a small hybrid when you can drive a large luxury sedan with +30 MPG!

Great Car - Terrible GPS
By Doug on 05/01/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

4 adults w/ trunk FULL of luggage on a 1700 mile road trip and got 31 mpg in comfort! The $2000 navigation system is awful. My $300 portable Garmin is MUCH better. I complained to the dealer who said "That's a common complaint." Toyota hasn't replied to my complaint letter. I want them to take the GPS out and give me my $2k back!

After 4 months I'm sorry I bought it
By bmallek540 on 04/27/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle is smooth once you get cruising at about 60mph. However, staring from a start there is a hesitation which causes you to almost lunge forward. The roof molding has loosened and almost come off. The transmission is sloppy and flops around both up and down as you accel and decel. The electronics is from the year 2000. And, the GPS is the worst that there is! The GPS is very outdated and has very limited POI's. The voice command is a joke and now the GPS has started locking up on me. I am waiting for the dealer to get back to me on that. The stereo unit in the car is just average. This is not the car I bargained for at all. After 4 months of driving it I am sorry I bought it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan in VA is:

$116 per month*