Used 1995 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Can't Kill It!
By tallchris01

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Replaced an older Camry with this car for it's reliability and rear seat legroom. I've had this car for 5 years/75K miles and it's 19 years old now. 216K miles on the clock. I've owned other cars that if you looked at them the wrong way they would break down. Not this one! I do all the basic maintenance myself. Running 100% gas I've done as good as 26mpg combined, and 29mpg hwy. Even on ethanol gas, I get 22mpg combined.

Favorite Features

A thankless workhorse that doesn't look too dated even though it's approaching 20 years old. Plenty of legroom for my 6'5" frame and tall kids in back seat. Every time I lust for something newer or nicer I quickly remember that my ownership of this car has been drama-free.

Suggested Improvements

I do my oil changes. The oil filter points down slightly, so catching the oil when changing the filter poses a bit of a challenge. Yes, I drain the pan first but there is still enough left over to cause a mess if I don't stuff a lot of rags or paper towels around the filter housing. The styling is plain vanilla, but at the same time it doesn't attract attention that I don't want anyway.

Solid Car
By runeye

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Got it in 2008 with about 80 K miles and it still runs strong even at 170 K miles. The only change I made was a busted flex pipe in 2012. Interior is sketchy but large enough to fit 5 average sized adults. Trunk space is superb. Performance is good for a older car like this, acceleration is great with PWR ETC engaged and overdrive off. Maneuverability is surprisingly active even at highway speeds. And this car can keep up with those low end luxury sedans which try to embarass you like Mercedes C class 250, BMW 5.

410K and still running
By tnt12

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Still running great. Getting ready to change the timing belt and maybe water pump, if needed. I am pushing for 500k by end of 2013. I drive about 50k/year.

Love the Avalon
By concordenerd

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I love the Avalon. 1995 and has 150,000 miles and drives like new. A very good car.

206,000 mile Bang for the Buck!
By Seemyad

1995 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

What a car! I bought my Avalon used just over 100,000 miles. I have driven through the Rocky Mountains, Montreal Canada, hail, rain, sleet, snow, and perfect weather. I have driven from Fresno CA to Oklahoma City four times in one year. I have driven from Lincoln NE, to Fresno, to Biloxi Mississippi, to Washington DC, Burlington VT, to Montreal, Chicago (in that order). The 6 cylinders offer great response and 30 MPG on the highway. The ride is smooth. The car and trunk are roomy. It even carries a real spare tire! Reliable is an understatement. My dark green paint job looks great too! Great car for the $6500 I paid for it 5 years ago! Need a new O2 censor and my leather seat is worn.

Favorite Features

Ride (premium tires make a big difference), response, fuel efficiency, interior space, sun roof, real spare tire, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Updated rims (I still have the stock rims on my car). Cup holders (I purchased a dual cup holder that sits on the center floor under the dash board. Works great!).