Used 1991 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

The best car you will ever have the pleasure of owning
By s0ul_sister

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is a wild beast. There is literally NOTHING the 4runner can't handle. My friends and I have taken her through streams, rock climbing, mudding and playing in the snow. I am so mean to this car, yet it has never once failed me. It keeps going no matter what you throw at it. Lots of room, reliable engine and it just looks so bad ass! I think it's important that you get the manual version though, because automatics aren't as much fun and don't give as much control. If you want a car that will keep trooping past 250k miles, this is the one for you. Take care of it and you will love it forever.

Clearance, reliability, tolerance, power, design, ease of fixing

I wish there was a heater in the back.

1991 Toyota 4Runner 22re 4X4
By fierceblues

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 1991 4runner 4x4 5speed 4 cylinder brand new. It now has 265000. Thing runs great....as long as the rig is maintained and not abused it runs forever. Tranny and 4x4 setup is flawless and built like a tank. Engine was rebuilt at 220,000 (probably could have gone much further, but was gonna let my son use it and wanted him to have a very reliable rig) and the truck is a horse mechanically. The driver seat needs recovering and could use a paint refresh.....but it has been one reliable vehicle. I have never regretted buying this truck and was glad I got the 4 cylinder engine...didnt have all the bells and whistles like the 6 cylinder, but man does it just keep on running. If you can pick up a well maintained 4 cyclinder...even with high mileage, you have found a machine that can give you years of reliable service.

Reliable...reliable...reliable. Drive train and engine built like a tank.

The truck that never could get stuck
By blake81

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first vehicle. I loved this truck and so did my friends. i had so many people compliment it. I was the 5th owner and the guy before me put on a brush gaurd, rear light covers and a safari rack. My 4Runner came with the tire located on the back of the truck. I took this thing off road all the time and never got it stuck once. MY best friend who is a jeep fanatic ttalked smack all the time until the third or fourth time i pulled him out. Before I went to BUD/s school to be a Navy SEAL i took it out to the rocky mountiains and never had a better time in my life. Sadly i did have a few problems with it that were from beating the crap out of it but all in all this is th ebest truck iv

Off road capability. High ground clearance.

more hp for the v6. 0-60 is 13 seconds

Best wagon for the money
By Don G

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

Fun to drive, great gas mileage and goes anywhere. It can haul most things a pickup can haul and with the rear air/heat it's always comfy both front and rear. 23 miles per gallon but I replaced the big off road tires with what was supposed to be on there. Smooth and my wife and I love it. I didn't buy it because I had to. I had a brand new truck 6 months ago and sold it when I found this little 4x4 and am glad I did. A lot cheaper than most to insure, buy lic. plates for and just a blast to drive. I LOVE TOYOTA.

I love the 22RE engine and mine is a 5 speed manual. I love how tall it sits and it makes it easy to get into and out of. I traded a golf cart for a 1989 Toyota pick up and really liked it but the 6 cylinder was hard to work on and it sat low so I went looking for a 4runner and found mine.

I guess most would like more power, I am a 60 year old retired male and I love the gas mileage more than I need power. I do want the roof rack and will put one on but other than that.. well I am totally happy.

best truck around
By B-530

1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my runner with 246k on the clock. it has the 22re with a 5 speed and 4 wheel drive. i get 22 mpg average which is great in my opinion for a 4wd suv. it fits my family very comfortably and allows us to go wherever we want very safely. its not fast but it gets the job done it now has 270,000 miles and runs like champ. i wouldn't trade it for a lot of other suv's out there.

engine and drivetrain are bulletproof

a little more power wouldn't hurt