Used 1991 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:

'91 Sidekick - Basic but Fun
By D. Tracy

1991 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, the Suzuki Sidekick is plain, but it will take me anywhere I want to go. On long trips to the mountains or on 4WD only trips in deep sand on Padre Island - this car has never let me down. I've pulled F-350's out of the sand. I bought mine for $2,500 and have put another $5,000 in it. I am now selling it for $1,800. As yuou can see, this truck has poor resale value. It can be fixed up to look good. I added custom wheels, graphics, a custom radio, tinted windows, and oversized tires to make it a real looker. The 1991 model has no overdrive which is a real bummer on gas. I only get 17 city, 24 hwy. The little engine revs high (4,000 rpm) at 70 mph. Mine has had two new engines and it uses oil. It is a great fishing car. Crosswinds at highway speeds are exhilerating though. I would not recommend this truck for a primary vehicle unless you're a good mechanic.

Favorite Features

The 4WD is not automatic, but when locked in it will traverse just about anything. I love compact style. It is easy to park and great for 4 wheeling. The engine is easy to work on if you're mechanically inclined.

Suggested Improvements

Well, you get what you pay for. It's a cheap car and so you have to expect the door handles to fall off - the vent louvers to quit working - the seats are a bit tough on longer trips- but then it really wasn't made for that. The overdrive in the 1992 models and above mades a big difference. Improve it yourself!

Suzuki sidekick 1991
By Ricky b

1991 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

this car kicks ass!!! fun to drive, convertible, affordable, economic replacement parts, really good 4x4 and off road performance (mud and sand)and girls like it, specially on the beach

Favorite Features

convertible, 4x4, nice motor sounds like a real truck.

Suggested Improvements

use soft tops from bestop, and mods by calmini, they are cheap and all bolt on