1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Bought it for $500 pt2
By grand_dan_97 on 10/04/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car in august used for $500. The clutch is slowly going, so i have to start it off slow, until i can find one for cheap. Good handling, great gas mileage for an AWD. Minor problems, rear hatch latch must be repaired, rear wiper motor is seized,gas guage dose not read(dummy light works),and 12v outlets dont work, rusty body, solid frame. bought it with 396,000 miles, and have 341000 miles on it now, having had replaced brake rotors and pads, and needing a ball joint replaced, reliable, solid car. Good off road, great traction.

Bought it for $500
By grand_dan_97 on 08/16/11 16:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I just bought this car in early august with 339,500 miles on it, now its got over 400k and i have little complaints. The hatch wont open...idk; the gas gauge does not work, however the gas dumby light does; The seat heaters, 12v outlets, heated power mirrors, all work, but by some manufcturers ****, they all are on the one 20 amp fuse, which means they all work but dont try and use the 12v...once again im confused of how to fix it. But everything else works, minus a fog light which had a rock put through at 60mph a couple weeks ago. Great on gas almost 400mile on one tank. Satisfying perfomance and handling. Stereo is weak, and finding a wiring converting kit for it is impossible.

Best Of The Best
By Sharon on 08/06/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this vehicle used with 200,000 miles. It now has almost 230,000. Was told the transmission was going out. Was able to drive it for 6 months before having to replace. Put in a used transmission and have no problems since. Iíve owned Chevyís, dodges, fords, and toyotas. This is one the most reliable vehicles Iíve had so far.

What's next!!??
By adam on 07/08/07 22:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

As soon as I bought this car the starter went out. Had it replaced. As soon as the starter was replaced, the engine and radiator blew up (cracked). After replacing the engine and radiator, the starter broke again.... then again... then AGAIN... THEN AGAIN! Loud whistling coming from muffler when accelerating. Keyless entry breaks for no reason. Transmission starts leaking out of the blue. Popping noise coming from shocks/struts. AC failure - had to replace entire AC system.... and it's still bad. ALL THIS IN LESS THAN A YEAR!! Needless to say I just recently got rid of it (woohoo!). I got a lemon and tried to make lemonade... but this lemon was as rotten as they get.

typical head gasket problems
By Dr. Kupras on 07/17/06 18:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Haven't had this car for 3 years yet and have been very dedicated to maintaining it; new tires, struts, water pump, starter, 2 timing belts, front wheel bearing, etc, etc. Bought it with 85k on it, now has 123k and the head gasket is blown, which I found out is very common on these Subarus. Damn thing keeps over heating and will cost about 2 gs to fix it now, which I won't do. I will never buy another Subaru again. I paid extra for it since I was under the illusion it was a quality car. However, I know now that they are junk like most other cars out there. It doesn't matter if you take great care of them or not, they'll only bleed you dry.

Overall Quite Good!
By FIXBKS on 12/23/05 15:47 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car with 82,000 on it and was already 6 years old! I haven't had one single problem with it yet. First thing I did with it was drive from Wash. DC to San Diego, up the Cali. coast with two bikes and a cartop box on the roof (and back)! Now I've got 110k miles on it and aside from a loose heat shield (annoying rattle) and some weird noise coming from the rear axle area that I'm ignoring because I'm in denial that there's something wrong. Stupid, I know. Will have it checked out soon. Otherwise I've had only oil changes. My car goes on all the ski/snowboard/mtn bike trips because it's the roomiest and most versatile, including my buds with the Cherokees and Explorers.

I love my Sube
By Lauraine on 09/01/05 11:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the 3rd Subaru for me. I bought it when it was two years old. My next car will also be a Subaru Outback. It's peppy, handles like a sports car, and is extremely reliable. The car has cost me no money other than general maintenance. I love the heated seats in our climate. I also like the styling. It doesn't look like a stodgy station wagon. The AWD is wonderful in snow. I can go when others can't. Unplowed roads are no problem for my Sube. Get one, you'll love it!

Excellent All-Weather Vehicle
By kbat17 on 12/05/04 17:01 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I have taken this car through snow, ice, gravel, loose sand and over logs (um, accidentally) and very little stops it. The heated mirrors and seats are very nice on snowy days. It's stable on curves, and much more so since I put good all-weather tires (Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds) on it. Gas mileage is decent for a larger vehicle. So far I have been keeping it regularly maintained and have had no problems with it, although I have heard that the head gasket problem is a design flaw that was fixed in later models. On icy, snowy days I have driven up steep hills past dozens of stranded and abandoned vehicles and it never lost a beat.

4 Door Legacy Outback Limited
By buffbillsboy on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my stick shift Subaru in 1997. I had problems with the brakes, the alternator (changed it once), and the paint on the bottom of the car (it falls off easily). While those problems existed, I have enjoyed the interior space and the way it performs in snow.

'97 Legacy Outback
By brian k on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I always wanted an outback. I live in Cleveland and found one two hours away in Toledo. It was a 97 limited, with 78,000 mile on, and I saved over three grand on it. On the way home I blew a head gasket!! The car was bought as is, so no money from the dealer. Cost me $2,500, changed clutch, wires, and radiator while I was at it! Since then no problems and I'm planning a cross country trip. I hope they sealed it tight.