1991 Pontiac Sunbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sunbird model:
It Won't Die
By slasher on 12/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this sunbird with 154,000 miles and it still runs extremely strong with 164,000. I don't take it easy either. Everytime drive freeway over 90 passing everyone and has great pick-up! Regular maintence throughout cars life is the culprit for performance. Great look to car, real sporty in appearance. Only complaint is that I'm having brake problems, but very understandable for age. Only dissapoint is that I never got as my first car.

2029
By 2029 on 10/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Best car to own.....

not reliabile
By Pontiac Driver on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird GT 2dr Coupe

I got my poniac because I really liked the outside look!!! I have had my 91' poniac 2 door coupe for about a year 1/2 now and i have to say I haven't had any major problems, but i constantly keep having minor problems. I never can go far because I never now if it will make it there and back!!! I have had problems with the fuel intake, running hot, battery cord, fan doesn't want to kick on, airconditioner fan doesn't blow, can't unlock the left door, radio doesn't work, and a whole bunch of interior problems-lights never want to turn off and cheap, cheap, quality inside!!!

Worst Car that I have ever driven
By justlend on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird 4dr Sedan

I bought it at a police auction for $500, but was a huge mistake. I had to tear apart the engine and replace the crankshaft, a piston, bearings and head gasket. A year later the car started smoking and I had to get new valve seals. A couple of months later the oil light kept coming on and I had to bring it into a shop to find the problem. The oil sensor was bad and the part was $10, but the labor was over $200. Two months ago when I came home for the summer, the engine started making a high pitched scraping sound. I had to replace the timing belt tensioner and there was no more noise.

Power yes!! Reliability no!!
By Sunbird owner on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird GT 2dr Coupe

This car is great fun to drive, but it seems like every time I would go for a rode trip it would break down. At 195,000 km I've gone through 5 alternators, 3 starters, 2 set's of shocks, a water pump and many other things are just falling apart.

Sunbird satisfied owner
By gt_mikeman on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird GT 2dr Coupe

My 'bird Gt has treated my well it has 170000miles on the original motor with no rebuilds. It doesnt burn oil and still beats new cavaliers and sunfires and almost any honda. The fuel millage is ok. The ride it rough, but i love driving this car. The 3.1 5speed combo is great.

Subird Review
By Keithos on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2dr Convertible

Wonderful car to drive in Florida and for the summer