Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Typical car
By OK

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my GTP in January 2003 as my "dream car". Before that I had a 1997 Intrepid with the 3.5 engine. This car is much more exciting in both the exterior and interior with the excellent bose sound system and HUD, etc. The performance was good, but not that much better than my intrepid. The transmission does not shift nearly as smoothly as the Intrepid, it feels like you are "beating" on it no matter how careful you are. I had the tranny checked out by two different shops and they both say it's OK. So no big deal. I had a wheel bearing go out at about 40k miles. My windshield washer pump went out at 60k. Had the belts and thermostat replaced. Nothing major. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

Exterior design, HUD, bose system

dual heated seats, I wish I had automatic climate control.

not too happy
By KD

had to get a new transmission after 65,000 and I don't even drive rough

knock on wood (can't complain)
By can't complain

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have seen some of the reviews and have to say that either the only people giving the reviews are people who have had probs or i'm extremely lucky. Bought my 01 GP SE 2 years ago with almost 28k on it and now have 70k on it. Only prob was computer needed reset while still under warranty, new radio fuse. I've had no major issues thankfully. I have had some noise occasionally when I start the car which hasn't been figured out but never had a prob starting the car. Gas mileage seems to be getting a little worse with age/more mileage. Piece holding glove box up when opened broke so now it falls out sometimes when opened. That's it...minor at best. I would suggest this car for sure!

Pick up, speakers are excellent for factory, auto everything, fog lights on the cheaper SE, styling of gear shift, handles great in corners, looks sporty even for a 4 door, dash look and accessories, and probably most of all...reliability.

Cruise should be on a steering wheel. It's annoying having to find the little switch to accelerate/turn on & off when windshield wipers are on. Speaking of which, wipers position slides easily (changes position) when on and using turn signal. Use stronger "stops" for glove box.

Car Needs A Major Recall!!!
By Agitated

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased brand new! First, my tires did not last anytime-they were "chopped up" to quote the dealer and I had all the scheduled maintenence. The valves had to be replaced and the transmission has not been the same-I expect it to go out anytime! Goofy things inside have gone wrong, the controller for the windows had to be replaced, the strip on the driver side window broke, among other things. The cruise control only works part of the time and the accelerator for it never works. This week my passenger tie rod had to be replaced and universal joint is going out! You pretty much name it, and I've had problems with this car. I love driving this car, but it's a pile of junk! CurrentlyCarShopping

Nice sound system, heated seats, sun roof, car color, very roomy & comfortable!

Needs a transmission recall in a bad way! Pontiac needs to quit making junk. Pontiac dealers need to quit acting dumb like there is no problem with the car. Cars should easily make it 150,000 miles, I don't think this will one will go 100,000 (currently has 78,000 miles).

deeply irritated
By irritated

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car after trading in a xcab f150 ford truck,which i loved. But owning two trucks was not fuel wise! After looking for a better gas milage vehicle, but still didn't want a "granny car", this sporty looking car caught our eyes! The car has every option including a moonroof, except leather interior,i don"t like leather. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, especially the passengers.Drink holders are a joke!! Oh!!! Let"s don"t forget that great transmisssion. They"re so great i have to have it replaced for the "4th", i said "forth", time.This is not a car to keep. After 58,000 miles,trans went out, again at 82,000 miles, but returned witin days for more repairs! And now at 88.000

Car looks great, motor seems good. But i suggest a extended warranty. Thank god i bought one!! I would be in serious trouble without it.

Pontiac knows it has problems with the trans, as stated in so many statements above. So why not fix it!! Maybe when my car goes back to the dealership tomorrow(hopefully it will fall off the recker}, it might send up a flag!

• SUV