Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

not too happy
By KD

had to get a new transmission after 65,000 and I don't even drive rough

knock on wood (can't complain)
By can't complain

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have seen some of the reviews and have to say that either the only people giving the reviews are people who have had probs or i'm extremely lucky. Bought my 01 GP SE 2 years ago with almost 28k on it and now have 70k on it. Only prob was computer needed reset while still under warranty, new radio fuse. I've had no major issues thankfully. I have had some noise occasionally when I start the car which hasn't been figured out but never had a prob starting the car. Gas mileage seems to be getting a little worse with age/more mileage. Piece holding glove box up when opened broke so now it falls out sometimes when opened. That's it...minor at best. I would suggest this car for sure!

Favorite Features

Pick up, speakers are excellent for factory, auto everything, fog lights on the cheaper SE, styling of gear shift, handles great in corners, looks sporty even for a 4 door, dash look and accessories, and probably most of all...reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise should be on a steering wheel. It's annoying having to find the little switch to accelerate/turn on & off when windshield wipers are on. Speaking of which, wipers position slides easily (changes position) when on and using turn signal. Use stronger "stops" for glove box.

Car Needs A Major Recall!!!
By Agitated

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased brand new! First, my tires did not last anytime-they were "chopped up" to quote the dealer and I had all the scheduled maintenence. The valves had to be replaced and the transmission has not been the same-I expect it to go out anytime! Goofy things inside have gone wrong, the controller for the windows had to be replaced, the strip on the driver side window broke, among other things. The cruise control only works part of the time and the accelerator for it never works. This week my passenger tie rod had to be replaced and universal joint is going out! You pretty much name it, and I've had problems with this car. I love driving this car, but it's a pile of junk! CurrentlyCarShopping

Favorite Features

Nice sound system, heated seats, sun roof, car color, very roomy & comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a transmission recall in a bad way! Pontiac needs to quit making junk. Pontiac dealers need to quit acting dumb like there is no problem with the car. Cars should easily make it 150,000 miles, I don't think this will one will go 100,000 (currently has 78,000 miles).

deeply irritated
By irritated

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car after trading in a xcab f150 ford truck,which i loved. But owning two trucks was not fuel wise! After looking for a better gas milage vehicle, but still didn't want a "granny car", this sporty looking car caught our eyes! The car has every option including a moonroof, except leather interior,i don"t like leather. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, especially the passengers.Drink holders are a joke!! Oh!!! Let"s don"t forget that great transmisssion. They"re so great i have to have it replaced for the "4th", i said "forth", time.This is not a car to keep. After 58,000 miles,trans went out, again at 82,000 miles, but returned witin days for more repairs! And now at 88.000

Favorite Features

Car looks great, motor seems good. But i suggest a extended warranty. Thank god i bought one!! I would be in serious trouble without it.

Suggested Improvements

Pontiac knows it has problems with the trans, as stated in so many statements above. So why not fix it!! Maybe when my car goes back to the dealership tomorrow(hopefully it will fall off the recker}, it might send up a flag!

Good car
By pmn

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Basically a good car. Have had small problems. Heater knob cracked, starter replaced, power window control replaced, leaked antifreeze, had seals replaced. New problem every 6 months - thankful for extended warranty. Have owned 2 pontiacs for 7 years each, both grand ams. Have to say I'm disappointed with this grand prix. Exterior paint did not hold up and interior carpet matted

Favorite Features

Stereo is awesome and handles nicely. Goes great in snow

Suggested Improvements

Interior design is cheesy, carpet is cheap