Deceptively reliable--a handsome highway cockroach
By thrashette on
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan
So this is the first, and thus far, only car I've owned for my 3 years of driving. I'm the 6th owner, and it was passed down from my dad at 130k miles. It's now at 210k miles, and I can say with pride that this car has never failed me. Aside from when the battery was dead (the battery was 12 years old at the time and an easy jump got me goin'), it starts every morning as I begin my commute. Whether it's the usual 30, the frequent 100, or the occasional 1000 miles, it's always ready to go. Most of my maintenance has been regular, with a few big replacements such as the axles and brakes. The transmission and the engine still feel fantastic, despite the dust and age.
Favorite Features
Deceptively fast! I love smoking riced-out little Hondas in my dinged-up, dirty sedan. Insanely reliable, as I mentioned. As long as it has gasoline and oil, it goes and goes. I've taken this car all around the country, and despite the little caution voice in the back of my head, my car continues to please me. My recent visit to a new mechanic left him astonished at the condition of the drivetrain, considering how worn out the car appeared. The seats aren't intended for luxury, but they eventually conform to your butt and prove extremely comfortable during long drives, or even naps. :) Love the oil indicator and the range indicator (when it worked). Roomy trunk and interior.
Suggested Improvements
The fuel gauge no longer works. Expensive repair, but a minor inconvenience if you monitor your tripometer. Common problems with the car are easily rigged, such as the keys being stuck in the ignition. Remove the gear shift panel thingy, find the collection of broken wires, and solder. It does like to blow through window motors, but those are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Otherwise, duct tape. :) My weatherstrip has flown off and disappeared somewhere on i97. The stock headlights leak and it's almost impossible to see at night, although those could be easily replaced. Solid drivetrain, but some minor things are iffy. These cars sell cheap, so if you can deal with them, go4it