2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
not best car
By minotrice on 03/04/14 10:48 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

*had the 2.2 with autotran, was not a choice. bought brand new, had it 11 years untill it was totaled and overall just not a great car. blew tranny at 80,000 miles blew fuel pump at 60,00o lots of other issues, electrial gremils ect. the worst part was when hit the tree the airbags deployed minutes after the crash not durng, i was stoped and already shut off motor

Good first car, lots of problems.
By whiteside1013 on 08/28/13 16:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a good first car, but not much more than that. I purchased it from my older brother, who owned it for about 2 years. Before him, it was owned by a family friend and before that a car rental service, so my car has seen its fair share of abuse. When my brother bought the car, it had a leak in the cooling system to where it had to be filled every week or so. It was too expensive to fix, so I've been living with it. The driver side windows have been broken twice. The oil switch broke, which almost totaled the car. The starter went out. The washer pump is broken. The horn is broken. The dashboard is warping up. The keyless entry system is broke

Great second car
By jtemple5 on 07/05/13 18:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used back in 2008 with around 55k miles on it... just hit 140k and am looking to replace it, but not for anything specific, I'm just anticipating a problem since I've never had one yet. Even winding up nose first in a snow bank on the side of the highway didn't stop it. Aside from minor wear and tear work, we've never had to replace anything major, even with it being our only car for 4+ years, surviving all those New England winters. Excellent car, excellent style, and roomy inside even with its smaller exterior.

Not a bad car considering, but not great.
By rumrunner83 on 01/04/13 12:10 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Grand AM SE 2.2L brand new in November of 2002. I still have the car just over ten years now. Its a sporty car with a particularly powerful four cylinder engine. That being said, it is a four cylinder, and while the car is absolutely fantastic for highway driving, the car is simply too heavy for hills and cold weather. Even when the car was new it did not like climbing hills, and in the cold the engine loses significant horsepower. However, the car is amazing on gas if properly maintained and I have driven from southern Massachusetts to Bangor, Maine (Approximately 300 miles) before refueling.

GREAT CAR have had 1 big problem
By gmforever on 07/19/12 15:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

i love the car to death i really do. great car and it does get attention even without doing mods or anything major to it. i got the car back in SEPT 2011 as a birthday gift from me to myself. 1 month after i got the car the number 5 valve bolt popped out and we had to rethread the hole which was a pain.but ever since i have had nothing at all just minor problems. headlights were too fogged over couldnt even get it cleaned up enough to make them look good or even improve driving at night. so brought new ones and thats really it. if anyone has had this problem tho please POST because seems im the only one so far with it thanks

Awesome car.
By cbeck3 on 02/02/12 17:48 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car, but I've had problems with the PassKey system - still looking for a way to disable that completely. Also, I'm not a fan of the Monsoon sound system. In spite of all that, my car is great. It's very quick and plenty fast - although the 150mph speedometer is tempting. It's a great looking car; I've received lots of complements. All in all, it's a great car for the money.

falling apart
By reycor1842 on 03/20/11 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this pontiac grand am with 25,000 miles on it in 2004.was a good car until 2010. i started having electrical shorts-cruise control,horn,fog light window switch,dome light. at 90,000 miles the intake manifold gasket went out,while the mechanic was replacing the gasket he also discovered a censor that was not properly clipped down anywhere.the censor wiring was about shredded and in a place not visible unless the intake manifolds and other various parts are off the engine. had the brakes redone multiple times,in heavy rain the brakes make a grinding noise and seem as though the barely function at all when wet.I HATE THIS CAR...DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

Been a great car for 7 years now
By ted on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We were shopping for a Honda Accord when we stopped by the GM dealer, we drove away in a brand new Gt Grand Am with all the bells and whistles for $7000 less than a half loaded 4 cyl Accord. I thought i would pay in the end in repairs but this car has been very reliable, we have just over 170k on it now and have never had any major problems, and the car is stupidly cheap to maintain (no timing belt service to worry about)We have had the most trouble with the power windows, maybe it's the cold Canadian winters that's hard on the window clips (we replaced ours twice now). The car performs well, gets great fuel economy, and we still get complements on the looks! Overall a good solid car for the price.

Mistake!
By Ashley on 06/21/10 01:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

ONE owner. I bought new 10/2002 happy to have a new car. Headliner fell down 5X in the first 6 mos, then brake pads (every 4 mos & a few calipers) Owner of 5 cars in my life, ONLY 1 has done this, hmm?? Driver, doubt it. Then 2007 big ticket repairs, Dex-Cool ruined hoses, gaskets, manifolds THEN I find out about the Class Action Lawsuit too late to file my repairs. Also replaced many other parts. Do I go on? Not only did I pay of $24K new I have about $8K in repairs. Sell? find out about GM's extreme depreciation, I could not get this nightmare off my hands! 2010 with a 155K mi & needs 3K more in repairs to run, I can't give this car away at this point! Buy a GM, NEVER AGAIN!

Love my car, but it has a few quirks.
By Jared1987 on 05/31/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used in 2007 and it has been going strong. I love the smooth sporty ride and the tight handling. I haven't had any major problems with it, however, certain things have started to go and with the Grand Am's, it's the little things that kill you. A few months after I bought it my stereo light dimmed and it's hard to see. The seal on my passenger's side door is loose so when it rains heavy my entire passenger's side floor is soaked. My air only works on 3 and above. Now my driver's side window is expendable and refuses to work sometimes. If you live in the Midwest please make sure you have another vehicle for winter. This gets hopelessly stuck in everything 3 inches and above. Bummer!