1991 Plymouth Voyager Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

1991 Voyager Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

Sort Reviews by

Turning the workhorse out to pasture
By Steven Lian

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I have owned this van since 1992 and used it as my primary vehicle until a year ago. It has 238,000 miles and the motor does not burn oil and has never been opened up. I have replaced the transmission once, the shocks once, and other repairs such as water pump and gaskets. It has the heavy duty towing package and I towed a boat across country when it had 200,000 miles. I will sell it when my wife buys a new car this year. Not because it has a problem but because we have too many cars. What a great van it has been! I will be sorry to see it go.

Favorite Features

Cheap transportation, dependable, and has hauled lots of stuff including rocks.

Suggested Improvements

Everything has been improved over the last 14 years, its too late for this one.

1991 Plymouth voyager LE
By Chesterhorse

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

I have put 60+ thousand miles on this van. it has been very dependable. I think it is a better can than the newer ones as far as gas milage go and as far as holding up. I have towed my small boat with it and it has done great. to bad I am growing out of it. I now have 8 in the family and have to use it as the 2nd car. I have a suburban for the family hauler.

Favorite Features

Power - great power for a van. Fuel efficiency - can get between 20 and 26mpg.

Time to dock this thing. Seriously.
By heels over head

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We have had this car for many years and from day one it has been a lemon on wheels. We know the previous owners quite well, and they bought it new. This car is inherently unreliable. Since the day we bought it, it has had it's problems and we have taken it to the dealership and to a mechanic many many times and has cost us a fortune. We probably spent more money than the amount we paid for it just trying to keep it working. A few weeks ago, the van wouldn't let my daughter put it in park in the garage. DRIVERS BEWARE. It's a big hunkin mass of metal on wheels.

Favorite Features

The sound of chickens squaking in the back while driving, comfy chairs, boring and strenuous to drive. Nothing is luxurious about this baby.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING. Don't purchase this car unless it's the last car on earth and it was your only choice. I would rather ride a donkey through town.

Versatility
By COLONEL ROBERT FREIT

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I can't say enough good things about this workhorse. It is a plain Jane but very dependable in all kinds of weather. I have over196,000 miles and although I have had a major overhaul of the engine, radiator, and alternator, it has proven to be a dependable and versatile vehicle. It continues to look good with its annual exterior wax job. I enjoy it so much that I just purchased a new Chrysler Limited van and I'm keeping this olde but goode. Chrysler makes the best minivan on the market!

been good to me
By G. Ricci

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

purchased new,problems with the computer at 6 months dealer replaced, never had another problem,got extended warranty, used once, the dealer found some problems with the flex brake hose's said before it goes out of warranty do the brakes all around.Driven every day from new and never had a problem till 2002 always did the maintenance on this van,in ten years we had to do the transmission and replace a oxygen sensor Other than regular maintenaince this van has cost about 1500.00 can. for ten years. there is some minor things it needs now doing the timing belt/shocks/passager door is sagging now, little things plan on driving this van for another 5 years

Favorite Features

good lookin van for the year,roomy,its a LE thats great.

Suggested Improvements

l know others had problems with thier transmissions early in the life of the van

Good little van
By Garth

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van has been good to me and my family, and it keeps plugging along year after year. It is wonderful for hauling stuff (Especially with the seats removed) and does a good job of towing my ski boat. My only complaint is the head gasket. One blew at 101,000 miles, and a second blew at 130,000. Other than those two incidents, it has been a very reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

My two favorite features are the wonderfully comfortable front seats, and the ability to haul half a ton of junk around in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Two words: Head gasket. Other than that, it's perfect for what it was designed to do.

Would definatly but another!!!
By Chrysler Fan

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan LE 3dr Minivan

Comfortable vehicle, but would be nice if passenger seat was adjustable. Had many small failures, overhead console, driver's window, cruise control, but with this many miles you expect some money to go into it. The engine is awesome (3.3 V6), but transmission has had problems. Great family car for trips and hauling. Paint problems also.

Favorite Features

Engine pick-up is great, power driver seat is nice, overall roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Paint that lasts, and new design on transmission!!!!!

Avoid at all costs!
By steve ross

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

Trouble from the word go. Multiple computer/engine problems, and the usual endless stream of American car recalls. at 70k miles engine was shot, I was very angry, and neither the dealer nor Chrysler cared that I was dissatisfied. I would not buy another one if it sold for $100 new, got 400 mpg, and ran on tap water.

Favorite Features

Amazingly enough, VERY little rust on exterior and frame.

Suggested Improvements

Let Toyota help make them!

a long term reliability time after time
By sweet pepper

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan AWD

A workhorse of a car it can haul people or loads consistently. If you treat it well with regular checkups and maintenance has required no major work above the norm. Only caveat is the paint job by the factory sloppy and tends to peal-a problem on most 12 year old cars in winter zones.

Favorite Features

comfort for long term driving, easy parking size, handy loading through back gate

Suggested Improvements

better paint

The mini van was a lemon
By Thorne

1991 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van was a lemon with a capital L

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy one