1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Do not buy Chrysler
By boycotting Chrysler on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Within the first year, the weatherstripping on the right side of the car had to be replaced (covered under warrenty, but the new strip does not match the one on the left side of the car). The windows occassionally leak when it rains, as does the floor of the front passenger's seat. Recently, the trunk leaked and soaked everything inside. There are oil leaks, which a mechanic said is a factory defect and will cost a few hundred to fix. Finally, the paint is peeling off and exposing the primer. Chrysler is only willing to pay for 50% of the $1400 paint job. I've had it with Chrysler and their employees. I'm off to buy a Honda or Toyota!

STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR
By PCS on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 2dr Coupe

I bought 2 Neons (new). The years were 1996 and 1997. I've had nothing but problems with these cars!At 60,000 miles, on each car, the heads cracked. . I put thousands into the 1996 and nothing can stop the oil leaks and electrical problems. When the head gasket blew on the 1997, after much arm twisting, Chrysler replaced the engine (at a cost of 1,000 to me). Of course, the head gasket blew on the newer engine as well and the oil leaks just don't seem to be able to be repaired. I will never, ever ever ever buy a Chrysler car again due to the unreliability and immense cost of repairs.

My 96 Plymouth Neon
By acespaz on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

Well she really goes fast as I have the Stick shift model. In 73000 mils of driving I've lot 2 oxygen sensors and the electrical gauges sporadically drop null position leaving you blind while drivng. Otherwise very little problems during mostly highway driving.

needs better refine, better interior
By Mike bmw on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

19,000 miles gasket blew out, fuel sensor need to be replaced, 25,000 guages went out, 37,000 check in came on replaces spark plugs, wires, cost over 700 bucks in maintances, 40,000 replace all 4 tires, Very poor paint quality start peeling at 25,000 miles. The car handles well but tons of interior noise coming from the engine.

Adam's Neon Review
By adam531982 on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

So far this car has been reliable for the most part. I have had problems with the alignment and the belts being loosened/breaking. The interior design is hideously ugly. There are ugly little multi-colored triangles all over the seats! (Yuk!) The ride is fairly smooth and gas mileage on the highway is great. City mileage is about average. Overall I would say I would give the car a 7.

never again
By zh on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new and loved everything about it except! when the brakes shrieked, or when the horn would go off, or when it had no pick- up or when it would stop dead 1/2 way through a turn. I went to the dealer 3x and they couldn't detect the problem. It gave me great pleasure when I took it the 3rd time and the car would not start at all for them. I wrote letters to everyone imaginable. Finally, when the whole front end did a volatile shaking dance at start-up, I decided that very day to hobble it over to a mechanic who advised me to run to the nearest Toyota dealer to buy a real car....a '01 Corolla. I love it.

I love my car!
By Kendra on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I love my car. The one and ONLY time it didn't start was when the battery died. I've never had any other problems than that. I love everything about the car. I love the color, the look of the car, the handling, smooth ride, etc.

jeckyll & hyde car
By neondriver on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1996 sport coupe when it was brand new, and have had minor problems down the road, but I have racked up 101k miles on it, and it still runs pretty strong. Problem areas include: the map sensor, the brakes, & the A/C unit (I racked up a $1000 bill to fix it after warranty :(.) I had a lot of problems in the first few years, which soiled my image if the neon, but in its latter years, it is not doing too bad.

When it runs it's a great car
By redrees on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

When this car runs it's a great car. It is good on gas and with a 5-speed acceleration is good. However, this is the least reliable car I have ever owned. I have put over $1,200 into it in the 5 months I have owned it. I had the car just over a week before it needed it's first repair. If you are buying this car cough up the money for an extended warrenty.