Used 1996 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

It's been a great car but it's aging.
By suescq

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

My car has always started and has been very reliable. It has had it's share of problems including the head gasket which has gone out twice, the air conditioning which is poorly designed (the electrical system burned a hole in the hose), and I had to replace my gas tank recently. Otherwise, the car has served it's purpose and always gets me to work and back.

Automatic transmission on the floor console, nice sound system, good gas mileage.

Better head gasket, air conditioner hose farther from electrical components.

One Happy Neon Owner
By eta

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I love my Neon. It's been a great car, I have yet to even replace a lightbulb! It's peppy with amazing fuel economy. I have the model "Expresso" which may be only a Canadian thing but it's sporty with funky interior. I've owned alot of cars in my life, I like this one the best for the money.

Everything :o)

Nothing :o)

Unreliable Lemon
By purpleNeon

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My poor 1996 Plymouth Neon . . . it has needed SO MANY expensive repairs. I don't know if it is just a lemon, or if that make and model is just crap. I feel like it was a cheap car to begin with, and now that it is older, it is very unreliable and I plan to get rid of it. It ends up in the shop every couple of months needing $500+ repairs.

It has great pickup. You can speed ahead of people on the highway.

better quality parts

Old Reliable
By ynot

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new in June of '96. Have over 125k miles on it now and other than repairing a blown spark plug once, I haven't had any problems with it. Other than regular oil changes, I have never had to add oil. The little 4 banger has good power and avg 34 mpg. For a car at this price, it has superior handling although the ride is getting a little rough now.

Handling

Can always use more power.

I wouldn't suggest it...
By don't buy this neon

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

After buying this car with 70,000 miles on it and putting about 300 miles on it, i had a list of problems. First, the speedometer (well, entire instrument panel to be exact) works when it wants to. Then, I found I had a number of oil leaks. Every time i got one fixed another would pop up. The head gasket had already been replaced by the previous owner. I chronically overheat, even though there is no apparent reason for it. I've had the car for 2 months and have put almost $700 dollars into it for repairs. i hear that most of these problems are common in older neons, so i have to strongly recommend against buying this car.

Looks cute, when it's running right is fun to drive...great air conditioning if you can use it since the car overheats most of the time.

Apparently the design is bad or the parts used are cheap, or both, because this many things should not go wrong with a car with relatively low mileage.