1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Worst Decision to buy Neon
By Kader on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I would never recommend a Neon to anyone unless they were my worst enemy. But, even then... The problems started immediately after buying it at 36,000 miles. The oil leaks, the gasket blowing up, the water leaks, the paint peeling, and the attitude from Chrysler that nothing was wrong added up to a horrible first year with this car. The kicker was when it burst into flames while driving home from work one night. This car has serious problems and after thousands of dollars repairing it, I can honestly say I'd never do it again. The name of my car: The Turquoise Lemon

My tiny car
By mish900 on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I purchased my neon used at 32k miles. I had some problems right away with electrical, brakes and A/C. I ended up putting a chunk of money into my car even with my extended warranty. My car has never let me down otherwise. I have been through multiple state trips with absolutely no problems. I liked the car with the first test drive and I like it even more after customizing it (not performance improvement). It's still going strong with over 100k miles.

Lemonaide Please
By LeeA on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My Neon has been nothing but trouble from day one. It has had a constant overheating problem even after the head gasket was replaced (warranty work). In addition, the entire heating/cooling system has been replaced more than one time, I've had electrical repairs, and the car leaks! If having an overheating car wasn't bad enough, every time it rains hard, the car fills up with water . The dealer has replaced the front and rear windshields, but it still leaks! The only time I would recommend this car is if you are planning to give it to your enemy!

$20,000 Neon
By Ruined Credit on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my Neon in 1997 with 24,000 miles. The reason my Neon cost me $20,000 is repairs. I paid $13,999 for the car and more than $6000 for repairs. Here's the list of replaced parts (not including what it came with): 3 head gaskets, 8 sets of brake pads, 3 sets of brake rotors, 2 sets of brake calipers, 1 transmission and several gaskets and seals. Don't ever buy a Neon. I have yet to find anyone who has owned a Neon for more than 6 months who enjoys the car. So I'm getting rid of mine now that I've worked 2 jobs to get out of debt. I had to pay so much in repairs I couldn't afford to pay my other bills. My credit will be ruined forever. Thanks Chrysler!

1996 Neon Sport Coupe
By Tom Brosz on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Although the motor wasn't overpowered to begin with, it seems to have lost some of its pep over the past 6 years. Tight suspension still makes it fun to drive, but not the choice for long hauls. No major mechanical problems through $76,000 mi. Needs new shocks & I have replaced tires twice (like I said, its fun to drive). Paint job still looks good although it does have a few rattles & squeeks which are growing more numerous w/age. Misc. electrical gremlins come & go, but have not sidelined me yet.

This Car does suck
By Kandys on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Well the first yr was pretty good because there was only 25,000 mi on it. But now after 55,000 i have had two major oil leaks had to get a whole new transmission in it. The spedometer has'nt worked for a year and a half. Also like others i got the neon with the paint defect the blue one that chips. Also when its cold it does'nt start up very well and the motor is very loud. Never buy a neon again.

Warning, do not buy this car
By jo nitbi on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Where this car is cute, it is extremely unreliable. At 6 months and again at 12 months after purchased, my car would not start at all. The dealership said they did not find any problem. Radio light would periodically flash as if there is a short, but some how supposedly could not be detected, Speed senser needed to be replaced about 1.5 years after purchase, Head gasget blew after about 2 years. Windows fog up quickly. Trunk leaked badley when it rained. Vents have an awful odor when turning the heat on. noise coming from front axle, black around the doors peeling after 6 months.

Do not buy Chrysler ever again
By Chrysler sucks on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I have had to put so much money in the car it is not even funny anymore. I have had to replace the head gasket (twice), the brakes (twice), the battery, tires oh the list goes on. They need to accept the fact that the head gasket problem is a problem with the neon and recall it and fix it. I have heard of others including the dealers complain that Chrysler will not accept that it is a design flaw. NEVER EVER BUYING ANY CHRSLER CAR AGAIN.

Chrysler is a rip-off!!!
By Sage on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Actually, I've really enjoyed my neon for the most part. The thing that really SUCKS is that I bought one that has a enormous paint defect - the blue one just chips and peels. This peeling began during year 2 of owning the car and Chrysler said they will take no responsibility for it EVEN THOUGH THEY ADMIT it's a defect of paint. While overall the car is good, I will never give my $$$ to chrysler again.

Needs work under the hood
By kirbycal on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This isn't a horrible car. It gets me to the train station and back. The problem is, like with many other neons out there, you need to replace the head gasket. My brother, who is a mechanic, has had to replace many of these and Chrystler will not recall it.