1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )
Great Car
By lightning95 on 04/13/09 13:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

My achieva is the greatest gas mileage car I have owned yet, I did a minor tune up on it and I get great gas mileage

Great overall -- minus the transmission
By Joe Teijido on 10/24/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Be prepared with buying an Achieva to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced. It is the weak spot of the achieva and grand am. Mine went out at 90,000 miles. Other than that it has been an absolutely great vehicle. The 3.1 V6 gives you the power and fuel economy necessary - I absolutely love the 3.1 actually more than the famous GM 3.8 V6 on most grand prixs. This is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven. I had to replace the water pump once and that is it for the maintenance. If your original transmission hasn't gone out by 80,000 miles I would highly recommend that you get it services or checked up at least - spend the money in order to avoid spending 1,400 for a rebuilt

A good car
By JoeMac on 09/20/07 19:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45,000 miles on it and six years later it has 210,000. It's been a wonderful car. Non-routine maintenance: the water pump broke, the alternator and battery went out, and the automatic headlight switch went out. The car is pretty ugly, I must admit, but it has never failed to crank and it has never broken down on me.

Great Car
By SRB on 12/03/06 21:18 PM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been a fun car to drive, but I have had some problems with it. One being that the struts went out, that cost a pretty penny but the car was owned before and driven hard. I have had some electrical problems one being no hazard lights and the other with the automatic windows - only the front goes down and the driver's side lock dosn't lock with the automatic lock. Other than these issues, this car has been very good to me and is reliable, even though there were problems that I needed to adjust to.

I love my Achieva
By cls on 04/21/06 10:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I have put 55,000 miles on my car in addition to the 40,000 that it had when I acquired it. I have replaced the brakes (normal wear) and the battery. That's all! This car gets 30 (yes, 30) miles per gallon and has as much power and pickup as anyone will need. The transmission is smooth and nothing has given me any trouble. It doesn't have the cool factor of other cars, but its cost of ownership is really affordable and so far it is safe and reliable. PS I live / drive in Massachusetts so if a car survives here it can survive anywhere!

This Is a Great Car
By papaB on 12/11/04 11:58 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Except for my '64 Mustang this is the best fun car I have owned. Space, reliability and comfort . Too Bad they dont make them anymore . Never had any problems.

My baby
By donnamc55 on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I love my Acheiva.....I was in an accident in 2000,I was stopped at a red light and someone hit me from behind and then I hit the car in front of me...so the car was like an accordian..had close to 9,000 damage. But I got it back good as new. The only problems since then was the replacement of the passenger right side window power moter, alternator, and battery.

Pretty good buy
By bap on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

This car is pretty fun to drive with decent fuel economy. The seats aren't the most comfortable, but they are quite durable. The interior is roomy and laid out well. I especially like the height of the armrest. A few problems: The drivers' side door molding is loose and the motor for the power window has pretty much failed. I also had to replace the alternator and the battery. The cassette tape player died, but the radio still works. Other than those issues, the car has been very reliable.

I love my Achieva!
By Firegirl on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Achieva for over 4 years now and I have had no major problems. The only problems I have ever experienced are usually due to maintenance. I recently had an accident with it and had to have the whole vehicle repainted. I plan to hang on to this car as long as I can!

Good overall value and Quality
By pinkie on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

This is my first time driving an American car, and to my surprise, it has been a very reliable car... very comfortable, and rides nice on the highway.