2001 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Great truck but not without reliability glitches
By anthonymaw on 10/14/12 11:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used on a private sale from craigslist replacing my 1985 Toyota 4runner that I ran up 550,000km (340,000miles to you guys south of the 49th). However last year (2011) the in-tank electric turbine fuel pump unexpectedly quit (at 220,000km odometer reading) leaving me stranded on the side of highway. It wound up costing me well over $1000 in towing charges, parts and labor plus an overnight motel stay and a one day travel delay. Now that I know how to replace it I carry a spare fuel pump and screwdriver along with the spare tire....

Love this car!
By jmedavis on 09/02/11 10:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 SE 4x4. Bought it in 2005 with 64,000 miles. 5 years later and now over 175,000 miles on it, we've had no engine or transmission issues with it. I did have to replace an electrical component in the a/c this summer for about $250 but otherwise it's just been routine maintenance. It's a fun truck to drive and very reliable. Not the best backseat for carseats but it is manageable. We're in the process of selling it only because our 3rd child is on the way and we can't fit the family in this car anymore. But that is the only reason we're selling! It's been a great car.

It will get you there.
By nurd on 08/13/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Xterra with 73k on the O.D. after looking for a foreign 4x4 SUV it was the least expensive with the best options. I now have 155k on the Xterra and have had some very small things like a slow leak on a radiator hose that took me an hour to fix and $10. But I just had my A/C go out right before summer and we have had several 100+ days that have been miserable. Because of gas prices I want to sell it but then I get to go on a beach, camping or we get hit with a foot of snow and I fall back in love with my baby. This thing is a monster that will get you there every time. Love it and won't get rid of it.

225,000 Miles & Still Going Strong!
By vstro on 06/15/10 20:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this Xterra new in 2001 from Al West Nissan. About a year later the dealership told me that it was recalled to correct some problems at no charge-still under warranty. Since that the only thing I had to have done besides the usual oil changes (sometimes I was a little slack on that)& and a battery here and there is points/plugs last year at about 200,000 miles!She is now 9 years old. Unbelievable! Dependable! Reliable! Love my Xterra and wish it would just keep going forever- I might just see how many miles we can get to and then go buy another new one. I've been very happy with it!

100k+ after
By Kinetic on 03/15/10 02:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've purchased this car about 2 years ago with 100k miles on it. So far I've had to replace: Timing belt (wore out) Fog lights (burned out) A/C fan (Burned out) Leaf springs (1 snapped) Head gasket (coolant leak) Front grill (plastic pins holding it broke off) 4 small suspension parts, forgot what they were called I maintain the vehicle regularly, but a lot of parts appear to be cheap and fall apart. Especially the plastics, plenty of rattles and squeaks on every bump. Bumpers are also poorly built and fading. In the 2 years I've had the vehicle it has cost me about $3000 in repairs on top of the regular maintenance. Great off road, but poor quality parts make it less appealing.

first review
By fussner on 01/31/10 23:04 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 5 speed and am overall very happy about my purchase, ive put 2,000 miles on it in a month with many many more to go. The rpms on the 5 spd. Manual seem high. Maybe a 6th gear overdrive would help gas mileage. Other than that I'm averaging 300 miles to the tank and I love driving my xterra

Incredible vehicle
By Lindso on 07/06/09 00:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the Xterra for over 5 years at this point, bought it when it had 30,000mi. The odometer just passed the 130,000mi mark and the vehicle is still in outstanding shape. The only oddball thing I've had to replace is a bearing that supports the two-piece drive shaft, but I blame it on all the mud and water I've intentionally not avoided. I couldn't afford the insurance for 4WD when I bought it, but I certainly don't regret going with the 2WD- I've pushed this vehicle to the limit consistently on and off road, irresponsibly run the RPM's above 4K daily just to listen to the aftermarket parts work, and still, with typical maintenance (oil changes, trans flush), the X still runs strong.

A Note on Safety
By Jamie on 05/25/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Best vehicle my wife and I ever bought. Extremely versatile for trips, vacations, camping, light towing but still practical enough for everyday use. I even hauled lumber on the roof- rack with no probelms. UNFORTUNATELY my wife was rear-ended in our last week! She left the highway sideways, went airborne and flipped three times...completely crushing the front and rear, but the seating areas both front and back were not harmed and she walked away without...well, one tiny scuff on her leg from the steering wheel. It kept her safe and we are now looking for a replacement. We love the X-terra

great buy
By iron017 on 03/07/09 09:16 AM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Had the car for almost 3 years now. No problems (knock on wood). hauls great and good room for loading things which I wouldn't expect would fit in it!

WOW... 2001 Nissan Xterra
By jake on 01/23/09 13:32 PM (PST)

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Xterra. It is comfy and stylish. I love how sporty it feels. I also love how well it is in the snow. (But then again when your used to a three quarter ton 99 ford ranger it doesn't take much to beat!)