Push Button Ignition System
By Nissan Altima on
2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)
I have owned a new 2009 Nissan Altima for a little less than 5 months. And I find the push-button ignition very unreliable. On three different occasions now, I just could not start the car. I took it into the dealer. I was told that they changed the codes.It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is most aggravating. Tonight, I waited in the dark for the Auto Club after trying more than a half hour to start it. Finally, the push button ignition connected and I called the Auto Club to cancel service. I know that you have to push on the brake pedal to get it started and I have done this repeatedly without success. Is there a sure-fire way to start this car? Please tell me.
Suggested Improvements
Perfect the push-button ignition system or get rid of it.
By kfj1
on 08/03/12 06:05 AM (PDT)

Also happens to me (2008 Altima). There is a switch next to the brake pedal that informs the ignition that you are pressing the brake. Have you noticed that when you press on the brake when you start the car that the pedal does not seem to go down as far as it normally does? If so, the problem may be that this switch is not working properly. My son takes the switch out and takes it apart (not recommended if your are not mechanically inclined), cleans the points in it and puts it back in and it works like a charm for many months, then starts doing it again. Son repeats procedure. He has done this 4 times so far over a period of 2 1/2 years. Took it to dealership and they want to charge me over $500 to "fix" it. Said the electrical harness for the car would have to be replaced too. Sounds like BS to me. The switch is easy to get to and just pops out after a 1/4 turn. Anyone else know anything about this?