Used 1997 Nissan Altima GXE (1997.5) Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

It's been a great car
By GB

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I just handed my 1997.5 Altima down to the kids with 158000 miles on it and expect many more good miles from it. The car has been very comfortable and reliable over the years. I did all the scheduled maintenance and the car has been great. I upgraded to the 2007 Altima and the kids are happy to have my old faithful. It should get another 100k miles easy.

Reliability and consistently good gas mileage.

Pretty satisfied with my first car
By Enoch

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

Good used car for a student. As reliable as Honda and Toyota but costs you much less. It had 108K when I bought it 3 1/2 months ago. Engine and transmission are running great so far.

Reliability. Cheaper price than Honda and Toyota. Smooth transmission. Good and powerful engine.

Fuel economy, interior design could improve. Suspension a bit hard for passengers (OK for driver).

i love my car
By nickia reid

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

i brought the altima in 2000.. i love it very very much and i will always stick with the altimas.. i love the way the the inside is built.. i love the way it drives.. The car is very sexy and it fits me completey..in 3 years im planning to buy me another altima

i love the wood that it has inside.. its has overdrive and my car has alot of get up..it reminds me of a smaller version of the maxima

the gas mileledge need to improve.. and the painting job also.. but i still love my altimA

No major complaints
By Marylander975

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I don't have any major complaints with this Altima, though I can't say I love the car. It has been dependable, but doesn't have enough cargo room for me. I would have preferred a car with rear seats that go down to extend cargo room. One thing - the paint job is the worst. It didn't take long for the paint to start peeling and chipping and for it to become oxidized. I have had to replace the alternator, windshielf wiper motor and have had a problem with the rear brakes.

Bad Transmission
By E Vining

1997 Nissan Altima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (1997.5)

I agree that the mileage is poor with this vehicle. But really bothers me is that I need to put in a new transmission at only 56,0000 miles. There are two recalls on this vehicle 1) transmission part 2) seatbelt Will not buy another one, will go back to Honda Accord.