2001 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Balanced 4x4 trail sleeper.

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Balanced 4x4 trail sleeper.
By Binder on

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Montero limited I have owned. The first saved my life in a collision. Tough truck! I had no maintenance issues with the first truck, however, the cam did break on this one, and it cost nearly $3K to fix. Not a common problem though as I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. This vehicle is simply a perfect balance. The V6 is peppy though not a hot rod, gets decent fuel economy for a full size SUV. Can seat 7 if needed, or hold lots of cargo, and takes only seconds to go from cargo van to people hauler. Good quality replacements on the tires, and brake pads cure wear issues. Got 78K out of 1st set of tires, and about 40K out of brakes. I get 16 mpg city/21 HWY.

Favorite Features

Easily deployed/stowed 3rd row seat. Large rear cargo door. Ext. styling. Very comfortable seating/heated seats. Sturdy construction! Surprisingly good handling off road. Better than most competitors, and better than it looks like it would.(that's the sleeper part.)

Suggested Improvements

Start making the truck again! The Endeavor is cute, but just doesn't cut it. Design the lower molding/ground effects to be more trail friendly. The truck can go where the plastic can't.