Used 1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Old Betty still rolling smoothly
By colo_montero

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV RS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is posted as a tribute to my old gal now with 208k miles. I feel guilty that I'm now considering replacing her simply to keep up with style....(OK she need tires and ignition switch work too.) Too bad they don't make these anymore. I bought her 1 year old at 9,000 miles. 21 years and 208000 my baby still runs great. Blown engine oil seal at 200k has been the only major issue. Very comfortable ride. Good off-road durability. Still not a squeak in her.

Favorite Features

Styling, durability, and comfortable. Nice upright sitting.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint is that the 3L V6 needs more power for steep hills/ mountains at interstate speeds. Wouldn't want to use it for towing in mountains.

Love this SUV like no other!
By gayle and mike

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

When we bought our first Montero in 1989 we were so thrilled with everything about it! People would actually stop us and ask what type of vehicle it was. Unfortunately, a few years later we were involved in an accident which totaled our beloved SUV. Remarkably we suffered not one injury...the car was amazing in how it protected us. Ended up with our 91 immediately after. We still have this car and we are now giving it to our 16 year old son to drive to school. Have had no problems EVER with this vehicle. Today we had new shocks put on and a new stabilizer bar. All windows, ac, original radio etc. are all still working fine. Had a problem with the horn once...will drive this Monty to her death!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive...roomy interior...simple design...high head space...large sun roof...love the bouncy driver seat!

Suggested Improvements

At the time purchased wouldn't have been able to think of any improvements for this wonderful SUV....maybe more leg room in the front seats!

A Perfect Machine
By Mike

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV RS 4dr SUV 4WD

I can't think of any way to improve this vehicle. Even after almost 19 years it still runs like a champ. Add gas and change the oil and it will never let you down. Even with 121k miles it can keep pace with interstate traffic and off-road like it was new. The designer thought of everything. They don't make them like this anymore. I'll only drive a Montero after owning this one.

Favorite Features

Full size spare mounted on swing-gate rear hatch. Spacious engine compartment allows for easy maintenance and inspections. Huge back seat that an adult can sleep on during long drives. Tall with lots of head room. 17-22 MPG, as much as a new SUV gets. This one was WAY ahead of its time.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything that the designer didn't already put in here. Even the turning radius is great.

I love my Montero!
By Safari Woman

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Well 151K miles later and she's still running. The A/C quit last week (bad in Florida) and the blinkers stopped blinking yesterday. I bought her in 2002 w/ 102K. I've just had so much fun, I'd love to keep her running forever. I actually got upset that I had to start shelling out some money for repairs in 2004, but DUH..it had 120K and was 13 yrs by then! Sadly I think her time is nearing. In the 6 years of ownership, I only had it not start on me ONCE! Geez what am I thinking, why am I considering a new vehicle? I love this SUV. Oh yeah I remember now, it's not cheap to get them fixed!

Favorite Features

The running boards and the power SUNROOF. The fact that it looks like a Safari vehicle. (I even put the leopard seat covers on) Power everything, way ahead of its time

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately just too expensive to fix at this point and the insurance rates on it are high because it is a "senior vehicle"

when SUV's were worth something
By old school 4x4

1991 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

after owning many 4x4's, this 91 monty is my favorite of all of them. it's unpretentious, get-down-to- business approach and style are the best. it's everything the newer "gen- x" SUV's (like the Xterra, etc) wanna be. amazingly reliable. 4x4 system is unstoppable. this winter i have pulled an explorer & two blazers out of the snow, and last summer my LAND ROVER GOT STUCK IN THE MUD & the monty pulled it out! the air ride drivers seat is great on my back, and the cargo and cabin area make anything do- able and haulable. manual transmission makes it fun and less sluggish. up to 33" tires can fit without modifications!

Favorite Features

4x4 system, reliability, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

isn't it too late since the vehicle is 13 years old??