Used 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mitsubishi 3000gt - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3000GT model:

very fun car too bad resale values arent accurate
By nobrakes

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

I have owned my VR4 for longer than any other vehicle I have owned, and for good reason. It has been simply the most enjoyable car I have owned. These cars are very relieable you just have to do your homework and keep some problem spots in check. The performance is great stock but not mindblowing. But with any car with turbos and AWD super car performace is easily within reach for every budget. And considering what these cars sell for it should be considered a steal. Which is the only real problem they have, the resale values dont represent the value accurately. And dont expect to pay the prices edmunds gives, you will pay at least $5000 for a high mileage VR4 that will need some TLC.

Favorite Features

Twin Turbos All Wheel Drive, this alone simply made it the best car in its class when new(wheres all the supra, 300xz, and rx7 fanboys when the snow flies?) Long gearing of the 5spd Very comfortable interior and could still pass for a new car with its design Price (unless your trying to sell one) Did I mention All wheel drive?

Suggested Improvements

resale value always check the oilpan for dents!! never buy one if it looks like someone jacked up the car by the oilpan, very common mistake made by uneducated owners

Hot mama
By TOM

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback SL 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 92 3000gt with a tired motor and auto trans. The car in stock form is a pleasure to drive sticks to the road like glue, has great acceleration but does have a reputation for expensive repairs like main bearings spinning and at problems. I had my motor completely rebuilt to a 400 hp single turbo setup and have a 5 speed also and now I wouldn't want any other sports car more than my 3000gt she is a beast and a beautiful car way ahead of its time. These cars were called the poor man's Ferrari when they were introduced in 1991 and there are still many on the road today although most have been modded .

Favorite Features

beautiful styling great performance road hugging ability

Suggested Improvements

better automatic trans and stronger bottom end of motor

High miles, but still high quality
By Deric M

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback SL 2dr Coupe

I have owned a 92 3000gt sl (red with black and grey interiror) for a little over one year, Best car I have ever owned. My car has almost 200,000 miles on it and it runs perfectly. I had to replace a few parts along the way (of course). It's fast enough to beat a lot of others out there, plus with the 3000 you can do it in style. This car will be a classic in years to come.

Favorite Features

Best feature of the car, "Chicks dig it".

Suggested Improvements

Full rear drive instead of full front, high speed acceleration while cornering can be like driving on ice. You punch the gas and twist the wheel, car keeps going foward.

So much fun!
By Jessica

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback SL 2dr Coupe

I went from driving an automatic 91 dodge stealth to a manual 94 3000gt sl! I could not believe the difference in the two cars. The 3000 is so much fun and is pretty quick (with some minor mods)!

Favorite Features

The low profile of the car and when I'm shifting I can feel the power!

Suggested Improvements

When you are really driving the car like how it's made to be driven, the gas mileage is horrible. It is worth it though!

Fun to Drive
By TopNotch

1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT Hatchback VR-4 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

Most powerful car I have ever owned. The AWD really made this car awesome. Its cornering is great and it stops from ridiculous speeds in no time. I have had many realiability issues with the car. Bought the car with 79,000 miles on it and 10,000 miles later the main bearings gave out. This is not a cheap repair. Also replaced the transmission which had failing synchros (both common problems in these cars). Replaced the exhaust from the downpipe back. Overall I would buy another one, but just be careful what you are looking at.

Favorite Features

The turbo, AWD, brakes, active aero, digital temperature controls, and great exhaust note.

Suggested Improvements

Real boost gauge (none of this calculated boost stuff); Wheels that don't curb so easily; make it lighter.