Spicy Cooper
By da_wave on
2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)
I’ve had my MINI Cooper Hatchback for about 7500 miles and 8 months now. I got just what I wanted when I ordered it. This is just about the perfect City car – it’s small and easy to park, the gas mileage is excellent, it’s super fun to drive (6sp manual!) and handles like a go-kart on steroids. Moves out smartly for something with just 121hp; I think that the 6M is the way to go for the base Cooper without the turbo. For 1 or 2 people just running around town to work, the grocery store, the movies or the mall – it’s hard to beat. It’s just very efficient in every way compared to a minivan or a pickup, unless needed. You can actually fit lots in the back with the seats folded down!
Favorite Features
Feels like a small sports car and not an economy car. As a driver, you are really in touch with the road in this car. Handling is superb and the gas mileage has been outstanding – over 30MPG no matter how you drive it. 6sp manual is very good and easy to use – the car wouldn’t be the same without it. Handles like a go-kart. Exceptionally practical for what it is. And FUN!!
Suggested Improvements
These are more like areas of opportunity: Rides like a go-kart. I have the standard suspension and 15” wheels and tires. I can only imagine how much stiffer the ride would be with the sport suspension, or 16” wheels and tires (195/55/16’s) or BOTH. My wife doesn’t really like the car for this reason. If you spend a lot of time on rough or poorly maintained roads, you might want to think twice about this as your daily driver…Premium fuel is recommended for this car, and the dealer will tell you to use it exclusively too. The S Models are prone to expensive repairs from what I've read - this is why I didn't buy one with a turbo. Consider that carefully if you are looking at an S car.