Used 2011 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 MINI Cooper - Consumer Reviews

2011 MINI Cooper

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Chose this over a Miata
By skysoxwiz

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent a world of time comparing the Cooper to the Mazda Miata.
They're both great cars, fun to drive and easy to buy and own.
I think I would be happy with either car but the Mini has the "cute factor" over the Miata.
9,000,000 Miata owners can't be wrong but it also makes it somewhat ordinary.
The Cooper "S" is incredibly fun to drive, especially in a mountain state like Colorado.

The 6 speed automatic transmission is great. I do a lot of in-city driving and during test drives found the 6 speed manual to be quite a chore, clutching, shifting etc. I'm 65 years old so that affected my comfort level as well. I love the Mini's scary-fast acceleration, it's mountain handling (it dares you to push its handling limits) and the deep bucket seats that keep you stable during driving. It looks great, handles perfectly and makes each trip out a pleasure.

While Mini prides itself on tradition I think the controls and dash could be reorganized. There's just something counter-intuitive to reaching for the dash to roll the windows up or down! The placement and function of the road and fog lamps is somewhat confusing but probably because I don't use them that much. The sound system is arcane and could use a simple Motorola radio/CD player!

Great small car
By exp10

2011 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Well I did it I got my MINI. I'm glad I got the manual it's a blast to drive even if it's a non turbo. I took a 700 mile trip north and avg 46 mpg on a flat expressway with keeping the speed of 65mph. If you go above that MPG will not be as great. 70 mph not bad and still received 42mpg. Keep your foot out of it and shift easy 32-35mpg in city shouldn't be a problem. I installed a K&N Typhoon kit and sounds great and improved MPG. I looked at many other cars in the same type of class. This one gave me the most personal room. It's bigger than you think on the inside. I can even fit my kids booster seats in. I have a 6 and 8 year old and they can ride in back no problem.

Looks. I have the spice orange with black rims and roof. I get all kinds of compliments. On board stereo with blue tooth is great. The usb can play MP3 from a flash drive very cool. Maintenance reminder.

Change the place where the USB plugs into. The power window buttons get blocked by cup holders if drinks are in them. The Continental Premium Contact 2 tires are really bad in wet weather I would stay away from them. Need to install a Temperature gauge. I live in the south and gets very hot. I like to pay attention to temps

2011 Cooper S
By mini_ziggy

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife just traded her '11 Countryman for
another '11 Cooper "S" -- she previously owned an '05 "S" and thought AWD was the way to go.

She knew the minute we drove off the lot (w/Countryman) that she would be back for another hardtop--just no comparison.

The '11 hardtop is great -- Mini has worked hard to refine the hardtop over the years and it shows.
The quality of the car is outstanding whether you're talking about engine performance, handling, interior quietness...it's all better!

"S" engine is now a star
By clutchplate

2011 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It's hard to believe the Mini Cooper S is only rated at 181 horsepower, it feels like more. After driving the standard Cooper hardtop the difference was night and day... if you can't afford the S, don't drive one.

I also have a Lotus Elise & have been driving both up the same canyon road to observe the differences. The Lotus corners quicker/flatter, but the Cooper launches you out of a corner with more low end (turbo) thrust. Its power is in the midrange and it flings you forward from around 3,000 RPM. What a blast. It leans a bit while cornering but stays neutral when you hit the gas so you don't need to enter a turn super fast to maintain speed. Great fun, great car.

Power band, build quality, gas mileage, side sun visor, golf clubs fit in the back (at an angle).

Exhaust pop/burble is interesting in sports mode, but is a bit strange as the engine is otherwise quiet.

I Love My Car! But im loosing it! Bee ware!
By 0to60n6

2011 MINI Cooper John Cooper Works 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My car has been thru everything! Jumps, high speed runs, never has overheated or indicated any ware and tear. I was 15 when i got my car and i loved it! I have gotten hit by a drunk driver in a loaner car and it was a cooper and i obveously didn't die and the Full sized truck was in the ditch and i was stil on the road. He was more seriously enjured, oh and he side swiped me going 80... I love my car to death, but theres one thing to beware it sticks out like a sore thumb i got pulled over the oother day on the interstate for the wrong speed because i stick out and they didn't see the other car so my parents are selling my baby. :( Best car i have ever had and i will miss it so much :(.

Sunroof, Speedometer, Steptronic Transmition, HUGE turbo, 150+ speeds :D, and pimping 18in black rims.

Sound system sucks so i got fosgate 12's and it beats down now, This is a teenagers dream car and its perfect loved it and still do i hope i can keep it but its up for sale by my parents now.