Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4MATIC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Practical Luxury
By Baker

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is a beautiful car, solidly built, smooth ride, amazing sound system, super quiet. A great car for transporting people. The second row of seats have lots of leg room. People love riding in this car. A great commute car because it is a very smooth and stable ride, great handling. It is a long car, and its hard to tell where the front end is, making a little awkward to park. The best thing about this car is the price. You can pick up a used one for a fraction of the price. Be warned that after a heavy rain or snow, your "check engine" light may come on". Don't take it to the Mercedes dealer. Take it to your trusted mechanic. I did and he turned the light off, and it never came back on again. Don't fix anything unless you are sure it is broken. Seats seven passengers. All the rear seats fold flat for lots of cargo room. Nice sunroof. Love this car. I replaced my Chrysler Minivan with it. My wife loves the car. Mercedes was way ahead of its time with this design. A lot of other cars have now imitated the design, but when it came out, no one could figure it out. So it didn't sell very well. All to our benefit now. Go get one.

A good family car
By JW

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

Panoramic sunroof. Sound system is good and easy to use. 3rd row seats fold down easily. Safety and comfort. More rugged than expected in the snow.

Very poor front sight lines despite the sensors. Controls are tricky with the push btn start as well as the "behind the wheel" shift key feature, which can easily downshift while driving at high speeds. Bluetooth activation should be standard. Navigation system tedious.

R350
By BWoodward

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am coming from a 2007 Escalade ESV and have to say I had a lot of reservations about "downsizing"! We have 4 kids 2 of which in car seats and wow is all I can say about this car. I love that the 2nd row seats can move back and forth allowing for very easy access to the 3rd row which seats my 6ft plus 15 year old very nicely! The pick up is great and it is tons of fun to drive. Not too mention very pleasing to the eye to look at. I would say so far my only con is that it seems to have a lot of little things go wrong. Less then a month of owning it the steering column broke in my kids school parking lot and I could not turn the wheels which was scary to say the least.

I love the interior features very simple yet very nice. It seems very durable thus far. I like the sound system and the nav features are very easy to use. I like the address book that allows for phone numbers to be entered. I love the looks of this car.

I would say the tv system needs to be redone. I liked my ESV because it allowed for control from the driver seat.

Underrated Great Family Crossover
By yetialan

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Pro’s: I had an BMW X3 and drove the X5 along with the MDX the MB had the smoothest ride, best safety features (BMW doesn’t have third row curtin airbags), 3 rows of seating and the greatest comfort in the third row. Pricing was excellent got almost 16K off a brand new 08 and low 66 month 2.9% financing. Everything top of the line quality, metal feels thick strong and confident on the road. MB originally wanted to sell these in 06 for 60-80K. This was built to be a great cruiser like the s class. Feels like the s class and the panoramic roof is incredible. Cons: Navi not easy to use

Panoramic roof, auto rear hatch, safety, drive is smooth like butter, does not rock the kids like the BMW X series models, third row can really seat adults, can still move 2nd row seats forward to get to the 3rd row with 2 baby seats in place in the 2nd row. Bumper sensors, AMG stying

Navi is hard to use, better unpainted bumpers to prevent nicks

What to call the R-Class...Nice!
By Rodney

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

My wife and I were in the market to replace our Yukon XL 4x4. We were looking at the GMC Arcadia and Buick Enclave when at the time I became aquainted with an R350 at our research lab for vehicle design and repairability review. With all of the safety features this car provided along with the amazing interior room, the R class was just right for my family of 5. I am a first time MB buyer so this may be the last one I buy or the first of many. We are so very pleased with the vehicle. It drives like a cloud. We thought we would miss the Yukon, but those memories are gone. This car provides for all of our needs and then some. We just love this car!

We have enjoyed having the back-up camera and the park assist feature. The leg room is short of incredible in this car. We opted for the P2 package, and I'm glad we did as it provides the Nav system and other nice features like the disk changer and I- Pod.

I would think that many of the options should be standard equipment (Nav, DVD, hands-free phone) for a car in this price catagory.

• SUV