Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (293 reviews )

LOVE MY P5
By davi3

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 P5 new...have had for 10 years now. It has 287,000 miles! I plan to get as many miles as I possibly can out of her. It is a manual trans and I've kept the timing belt replaced at regular intervals and have only ever used synthetic oil. The thermostat quit once but was a very simple fix. The headlight have always been a headache. I used to would have to replace them seemingly constantly. I love driving this car and don't feel like I will ever like another car as much as I like this one...unless it was a suped up chevelle or something :) cheap car, cheap on gas & fun to drive.

Leather seats, red dash lights, love the tail lights...for some reason when I was my car, I love how the taillights feel as I pass over them...I'm a girl btw...but I do love my car

headlights...figure out why they always shoot the bulbs

Amazing
By rylie1

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove this car for three weeks. I loved it. Unfortunately a guy turned in front of me without looking. My car got totaled. This car saved my life. The paramedics could not believe how much the car was squished and not me. Besides the normal symptoms of a crash, I am way better than I should be. This is one amazing car in all aspects.

Don't Bother
By carsbite

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Automatic transmission died at 110,000 miles. This is pretty unacceptable for anyone looking for reliable transportation considering cars from most other makers don't have this problem. I baught this car used and did my research. I got it well taken care of and I continued regular maintenence(all fluids regularly changed including trans fluid) Changed timing belt and water pump etc. There were some minor repairs like the alternator and an intake hose too. But then the transmission started slipping and I took it to a mazda specialist. He said this was unfortunatly a common problem for these cars.

It had good cargo space and looked kinda cool. Had a nice stiff sporty suspension too. If you want a sporty car to drive for a couple of years then this is the car for you I guess. Maybe the manual transmission model is good but it seems i've seen some blown engine at 90k miles reviews on this car too. Its probably best to avoid it.

Build a car with a reliable quality drivetrain before you add sporty flashy features otherwise you will never be able to compete with the better manufacturers like Honda or Toyota.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
By darkmattress

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 10 years now and it has been nothing but good to me. I always took it to the dealership so anything related to maintenance and the few recalls were taken care of properly. I put a few modifications on it early on (Injen CAI, Racing Beat Catback Exhaust, Short Shifter) and have enjoyed even better performance and fun driving. Granted, this car is not going to win any drag races, but it is has decent pep and loves corners! Very reliable- never had anything beyond regular wear and tear in 10 years.

As reliable as a Civic or Corolla, but actually fun to drive. I owned a Corolla and hated it because I felt like I was driving my Grandma's car.

More power.

200,000 miles and counting...
By christieg

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2003 Mazda Protege5 in 10/2002 and have been glad every day since! I have had the clutch replaced in the past 2 years along with the compressor and the catalytic converter and the drivers side widow thingy. I feel like after 7 years, this is normal. The head-light bulbs have been a bit of a nuisance, having to replace frequently, but being able to replace them myself, i'm just out the cost of the bulb, which isn't much. If you know the car has had regular maintenance, it will not let you down.

Moon-roof, Hatchback, 6 disc CD changer, standard, fog lights

I just wish it had a plug-in for my phone to play music.