2003 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Great reliable car
By klcaz1963 on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I would definitely recommend this vehicle. I purchased the 5 speed manual transmission and it is fun to drive. It is a comfortable car with everything within reach. This car has a huge trunk w/ a great split seat feature. I appreciate the "anchor" system for my son's car seat. I feel safe and secure while driving; it handles very well on the road. Only wish that it was not so loud inside.

Almost Perfect
By Donilee on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very happy with my buying experience, with the dealership, from the salesman, to the service manager. I expected better gas mileage, but it gets about 28 or 29 mpg. Even on the open road it only gets 30 mpg if the a/c is off. It is very comfortable, and has ample room for elbows, etc. That was a big deal to me. It still looks like a new car, even after six months. It handles very well. If you want alot of get up and go, it is not as good as some others maybe, but it has enough for me.

protege es
By toddla on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 3 months, I can say I fall into the majority of owners posted here.I paid 14200 for an ES, 6cd/moonroof including rebate. The car is fun to drive, low on power, but I get 30mpg weekly driving steady 50/55 mph to and from work. Hello Mazda, build the protegespeed for the masses. Hands down styling beats Honda/Toyota etc.

Mazda Protege Review
By cliff9826 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car has sharp turning radius. Can pull into parking area with no problem at all. Car has good pick-up speed. Love the sound system. Lots of trunk room. Good car overall for the price. For taller driver lots of head room. Nice stiff handling. Only problems are that it's not comfortable on long rides and I dont see where its great on fuel, I only get 250 miles on full tank of gas with all highway driving.

ZOOM ZOOM = FUN FUN!
By mkgyre on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2003 ES for a month now, do not buy anything until you drive a protege'! I am 6'3 and 310 and I can actually move the drives seat FORWARD and still be comfortable! I refused to get anything but a manual so while the HP output could be better,the manual provided plenty of low-end and highway passing power. I have run my car hard both in the city and on the highway and only gone under 30mpg once. This cars handling is UNBELIEVEABLE! I took a 90 degree banked corner at about 40MPH and the car stuck to the road like a suicidal squirrel. My wife loved my car SO MUCH that we went back to the Mazda dealer and got her a Mazda 6!

2003 Mazda Protege ES
By David Broadwater on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very, very nice vehicle. No reliability issues. 4 whhel disc brakes are great. Enough pep to be fun to drive, especially if using the auto sport transmission. Only issue is to have better mileage, but approx 26 in town and 29 highway is not to bad. Love the 6 disc CD player.

great little car
By bcsiny24 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Runs great looks great great value

Nice Car!!!
By Frei on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car today and I'm already in love with it. I'm 19 and it's my first new car. I'm so happy I chose this car over the cavalier I was looking into. The exterior is really sleek and the interior is BEAUTIFUL and comfy. My last car was an oldsmobile, so I'm used to a very smooth ride and for an economy car this one rides decent. I'm also used to a V6 and this car surprised me, it's got pep for it's size! I recommend!

perfect
By apl on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda is perfect. I had the model of 1988 and I bought it second hand in 1995. I travell 100.000kms and I sold it in 2002. My new mazda is the best car i have ever.

Sport Mode Auto Trans
By Greg Watt on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Protege ES is a beautifully balanced car, with controls that make it a lot of fun to drive. The sleeper option is the SportMode AT on the ES model and the Protege5, which does not kill the personality of the car. While not as quick off the line as the 5-speed, the rest of the car allows it to be driven quickly, with 2nd or 3rd gears only a tap away. THE SPORTMODE IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE FOR FAMILIES FACING THE SHIFT/NO SHIFT DILEMA.