Used 2003 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

top of the line ES
By Unitenyc

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Black Mazda Protege ES in December 2003. the retail price was $18,050, I got a $2,500 rebate and hagggled hard. I got it for 13,000 before taxes. I think that is remarkable. It came with every option except sunroof and anti-lock brakes, but the 4 wheel disc brakes have massive stopping power. It has 16" aluminum alloy wheels and Dunlop tires! Halogen headlights! All around a great car and I feel I got alot of car for the money. Much cheaper than honda civic and toyota corolla. But they can't compare to this car. Mazda should have never stopped making this car. I would ONLY purchase the ES. It is a finely made, fun to drive, easy to own auto.

The best features are the styling, it looks great now that I have the windows tinted. the rear spoiler is nice and lowkey. The car handles incredibly as normal and very high speeds. I love the sport automatic transmission which gives me the option to shift like a manual.

The improvements I would like to have are more horsepower and a premium sound system.

A great little car
By mollie382

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned this vehicle for one year and have had no troubles with this car. Excellent power with the 5-speed transmission. Handling is superb. The only maintenance needed so far were oil changes. Only two real complaints. First, the car turns too many RPM in 5th gear on the highway, making for a noisy ride. Second, the weatherstriping on the windshield causes an irritating whistling noise when you're driving with a moderate-to- strong crosswind. Slight flaws for an otherwise wonderful car.

Outstanding handling. Plenty of power. Upscale interior design.

Needs a additional gear for highway speeds. Reduce the amount of road and wind noise at speed. Change the design of the radio antenna.

one of the best in its class
By g man

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have been pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of this vehicle it is well built and stylish for a car in this class .i read reviews on all car in this class and decided on the mazda after test drives of all vehicles and i am not disapointed. the car handles like a dream the best bar none in this class. do your self a favor and take one out for a spin.i heard alot about road and wind noise being a problem i do not hear it just as quiet as most cars in this class.

vehcle handling is the best in this class handles like a sports car.

the engine is adequate but could use a few more horse power to go with the excellent suspension and handling

Not a lot of buck, but a lot of bang
By brb588

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I totalled my previous car ('02 Chevy Tracker) and was looking for a gently used car/SUV. I originally wanted a Honda CR-V, but it was way out of my price range. Thank God I looked at the '03 Protegé. It had about 11K miles, and I test drove it along side a brand new one, and they both drove excellently. The thick steering wheel and peppy engine were immediately noticable. Everything was nicely laid out, the seats were comfortable, and the car was rather attractive for its low price. I have had it for a month, and I simply love it. Forget a Civic, get a Protegé!

Well placed stereo, alloys and cruise control on an economy car, great power, powerful brakes.

The gas milage is surprisingly low. I'm not getting more than 22 MPG. Also, the paint rubs off too easily. And finally, the taillights leave something to be desired. For such an attractive car, Mazda could've jazzed the back up a little more.

Zoom Zoom
By Johnnie

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my protege with the year end incentives. Could'nt resist the Zero percent financing. Drove the Civic, Focus, Corolla...but they were not as fun to drive. The Mazda doesn't get as good of gas mileage... but it's way fun to drive.

6 CD-Changer, Moon Roof and alloy wheels option was worth every penny!!!

These are minor... but would suggest moving the cup holder and the door lock.