2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
Apparently the only Mazda Miata Lemon
By KSM on 03/18/06 17:14 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a Mazda Miata MX-5 C in Splash Green Mica. Within a few weeks of purchasing this vehicle, I've had hard starts (i.e. sometimes it takes over one minute to start the car and then it starts sluggishly.) I also have gas smells and a major braking issue where rarely the vehicle's engine starts to race the more you brake. The only way to stop the vehicle fully is to turn it off or put it in neutral while braking. Dealership cannot reproduce or fix so now I'm in lemon law court. I'm so disappointed because I did a tremendous amount of research which strongly suggested this car was reliable. It's an absolutely beautiful vehicle but I seem to be the only one stuck with a lemon.

Lovin' Every Minute of It
By rongrut on 01/25/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My wife told me it was my time to get the new car, and we have both wanted a Miata since its inception. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. FUN, FUN, FUN. Went on vacation to the Grand Canyon from Texas (top down almost all the way), got 30 mpg on the average, and that is at 75 most of the time on the highways. But, the best part was the great view from having the top down and the wind in our hair. I drove the whole way and did not get to where I was uncomfortable at all, (5'11- 180). Have had zero problems and don't expect any.

Miata Still Has It...
By vtmiller on 12/17/05 12:14 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned for 2 years and besides my Nissan SE-R 1992 (before they changed body style), this is the most fun car I've owned and perhaps even ridden in. Even my buddy's Porsche 911 (although powerful) doesn't generate the same feel as the Miata roadster. The Shinsen edition color got great reactions (some even asked what kind of car it was - Jaguar?) and there are tons of modifications one can do (under the hood) and styling. I've kept mine pretty stock, but plan on adding turbo next year for some racing pep. Nothing is needed for daily driving, but if you want to zip through the city, park anywhere, and lose stress with windy road driving anytime -- this is the car for you! Love it.

Ol Blue
By Michael Chapin on 11/16/05 11:35 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is the most fun I have had behind the wheel in my life. Very responsive, fun to drive, economical also. I wish I would have bought one a long time ago instead of waiting till my 58 birthday.

My Shinsen
By Denise on 11/08/05 16:21 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The acceleration of this vehicle is really lacking. I really wish that it had tilt steering. Don't know if it is true but I was told that this particular year only came in manual and that an automatic transmission was not an option. I would have preferred an automatic. My Shinsen is a third vehicle and stays mostly protected in the garage. I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied to own such a one of a kind (once again was told by my dealership that only 1500 of them were made).

Beyond My Expectations
By Joel L. on 09/16/05 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A true sports car with great looks, remarkable agility, extraordinary overall performance, and plain good ol' fun is what I was looking for, and the MX5 provides these features in full measure, and at a price that couldn't be beat! I bought the car when I was 60, and feel as if I'm 18 every time I pull out of the garage. I've just looked at the 2006 models. The MX5 tradition lives on in this "upgunned" model. You can bet another new MX5 is out there in the future. Well done, Mazda!

Built for the Sierras
By QwikLee on 12/17/04 16:33 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My wife and I live about an hour from the Sierra Nevada mountains on the California side. Whenever we want to take a Sunday drive, we hop in the Miata and spend a wonderful day winding through the foothills and mountains with the top down. What a way to enjoy the outdoors!

Fun but only in the sun
By Shinsen on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Shinsen 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love the looks. Many think it is a exotic at first look. Great car for nice sunday drives. Very fun to drive and gets the looks!!

Love Mazda Style
By Texas Chick on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible SE 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is my second Miata. I loved the first one (a '95), but this SE is even better. I'm constantly complimented on its looks and I've been very impressed with the way it grips the curvy mountain roads here.

Finally!
By rwantin on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My patience has been rewarded - I grew up in Michigan, and now live in So. Cal. A lifelong motorcyclist, it was here that I could finally get what I consider to be the finest 4-wheeled equivalent of a bike - a Miata! Grins from ear-to-ear, sensational handling, bulletproof reliability, and at a price that still can't be touched in this segment (sorry, I have never warmed up to the looks of the MR2). I now have a pleasant dilemma in the garage: Bike or car? This is indeed a classic roadster in the purest of (all) senses. Do yourself a favor - dismiss what anyone else thinks, and take one for a spin. You will not regret it.