Used 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Only possible car for short people
By Kara

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm five foot and have the greatest visibility I've ever had with any car in the Miata. Has strong headlights, amazing steering, quick and easy to put the top down (at a traffic light. The Miata is small, elegant and always smiling. Greatest car ever and would recommend it to anyone who is under 6'2".

Favorite Features

It has strong headlights, and easy to put down top, accelerates quickly, nice short shift for manual.

Suggested Improvements

To make the Miata handle even better get stiffening bars.

My Hobby
By RLM

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am a suspension and handling addict and this car answers the call and more. I have the six speed with Bilstein shocks and limited slip differential in triple black. For me the car has just the right horse power as I enjoy using the six speed to make the car go rather than just hitting the gas. I enjoy the interaction with the car and the road especially with the top down.

Favorite Features

I really like the black leather with the black exterior and the sports supsension adds to the fun. It feels like the harder you take a turn the more traction and stick you have. Do not need traction control-keep experience pure. ABS is one saftey exception for me

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the cumbersome installing of the cover. Plus a more effective wind screen behind driver and passenger along with auto sound adjustment with six disc cd in dash would be great. Also I would prefer a maximum performance summer tire as an option with sports suspension.

A joy to drive, but hurts my back
By SRS

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Gets appreciative looks. More elegant and cheerful than recent redesign. Never enjoyed driving more, but chronic back injury (herniated disc) with tiny interior: makes me wonder if I will have to sell. I'm 6'2". Seats are like 90 degrees; no lumbar support. Road can be harsh - avoid potholes, speed bumps. Pebbles make lots of noise. Sound system with road noise -- tinnitus. Right elbow opens cup holder, right knee can't straighten. Fixed wheel position. Visibility only fair with top. Automatic shifter very stiff after starting. Heater, AC, wipers good. Cornering easy, fun. Accelerates well. Top easy to operate. Sound system is good; allows adjustment of midrange. Top latch replaced.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous color (teal mica). Gorgeous exterior design. Cornering/turning circle. Fun! Top is easy to operate. This car makes me smile. Automatic transmission (less hassle than manual). Responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat angle for tall drivers. Lumbar support. Adjustable steering wheel. Quieter interior with top down. Feedback for gas cap release. Better fuel economy. Blue gauge color, not red. Less plastic in interior. A way to deal with noise from little stones?

Topless Delight
By BG

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car made to be driven with the top down. I even drive it topless in cold weather as long as it is a nice sunny day. If it gets chilly I turn on the heater. Put the top up and the car suddenly feels cramped and confined. The Miata handles great and accelerates surprising fast. It also brakes quickly to a stop in a pinch. I am using the Miata to teach my teenagers to drive a 5 speed and it is well suited for that due to its size and easy clutch. I find that the car is at its best on the winding backroads at speeds where you can take in the scenery and enjoy the outdoors. I am not crazy about driving it topless above 70 mph as the wind and noise pick up significantly.

Favorite Features

Highly maneuverable, easy to park, great visibility with the top down, very reliable and economical on gas. Perfect for running errands around town or just a great way to enjoy the outdoors. Think of it as a four wheeled motorcycle. The LS options are nice to have but I could live without them.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the driver's seat went back an extra inch or two. It can be cramped for anyone six feet or taller. The parking brake gets in the way if you want to rest your leg against the console when the cruise control is engaged. Flip the sun visors down and you have to duck to see forward.

Lovin' Every Minute of It
By rongrut

2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My wife told me it was my time to get the new car, and we have both wanted a Miata since its inception. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. FUN, FUN, FUN. Went on vacation to the Grand Canyon from Texas (top down almost all the way), got 30 mpg on the average, and that is at 75 most of the time on the highways. But, the best part was the great view from having the top down and the wind in our hair. I drove the whole way and did not get to where I was uncomfortable at all, (5'11- 180). Have had zero problems and don't expect any.

Favorite Features

Convertible first of all. Quickness, handling, and looks from so many people. Great to drive.

Suggested Improvements

You have got to be kidding me.