1998 Mazda 626 Consumer Review: Typical Automatic Issues?

1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Review

Typical Automatic Issues?
By Pat M on

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bottom line is I love the car. I must. I've owned it for over 10 years, and am only now deciding to sell. But, transmission #3 is issuing signals, and the pre-cat went out years ago. The pre-cat triggers the chk eng light, then the light goes out in a couple of weeks. Not really an issue, just an annoyance. We also lost a lot of weather-stripping around the doors. I re-hung it. But I think it needs more than just an adhesive to really do the job. After two years, we also have two dash bulbs out. Makes it a pain to use the heater when you can't real the dial. But I still have the car, so it isn't all bad. A very fun car to drive, even with low power.

Favorite Features

Driving position, driving responsiveness, comfortable, convenient interior. Exterior styling. Economy. Quality of materials used.

Suggested Improvements

This Ford-engineered transmission is a piece of junk. I've spent over $5000 on transmission and half-shaft repairs. Way too much money. Any car with leather interior should have shaded windows to prevent leather cracking. ATTACH vs adhere weatherstrip to door openings.