Used 2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Still the best car
By JDM Superstar

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I wish I have all the money to own it since new, anyway, purchased at 66k miles for $12k, just put another 5000, so far, did tune-up, O2 sensor replaced. Looks new and still shiny paint.

Seating and steering position, leather quality, trunk space, RWD, 2JZ-GE, 2-pistons in each brake caliper.

Better standard audio system, 96w sounds cheap. Window motors rattle at up and down. Doors don't close 100% so wind noise. A bit lost when cornering at high speed.

Wishing I'd Never Purchased It
By Dissatisfied

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car and, prior to close, had to force them to give me new tires as my "certified" vehicle tires were badly worn. Nicks, chips, in excess of what one would expect for a car with 22k miles. Within a few months, the radio numbers were barely visible. Minor repairs still covered by warranty were required. Now at $83K, I would have spent $5K fixing items but for the fact that I deferred a $1400 service that would be a "nice to have" and the dealer will pay for the labor on a power steering column I have to replace after doing a $2700 service two weeks ago. I should have kept ES300; 208K miles without the problems I'm having here at 82K. Terrible snow handling.

The way it looks and the fact that, relative to other vehicles, it will hold resale. It was a luxury feel at a good price point.

Rear wheel drive should be standard. This model year's panel is uninspired. I'm tall, so more headroom coverage and vehicle entry difficult.

Like-a-Rock
By RedBaron

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Previous sedan was Jaguar xj-40. This GS 300 is much better, more reliable, and far fewer maintenance issues. Running 17" wheels w/Toyo Proxes. May go to 18" wheels next. Yes, could use more back-seat legroom. Off like a shot with a tap of the accelerator. Corners great and tracks steady. Have 130,000 miles and still get 26-28 highway mpg. Will buy a GS 350 next. Gotta love 'em.

Handling, acceleration, reliability, clean looks.

18" x 8 wheels.

Great GS
By Vince

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just traded in my 2000 Volvo s80 T6 for this 2000 GS. Wow, what a great car! The car shifts gears so smooth you can't even tell when it shifts. Performance is way better than than what it says on the website. I have ran 0-60 in about 5.9-6.5. There is no way it takes 7.7 to get to 60. The regular stereo doesn't have enough bass or speakers so get the mark levinson one. The leather seats are very soft but at the same time hold you in place as you go around a curv. Reliability is excellent. When I bought this car the lexus mechanic said this is the best inline 6 engine made. All around this is a great car.

Leather, performance, great handling, very reliable.

Better sound system, larger wheels, a few more hp would be nice.

GS 300 Platinum
By DanO

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Drives smooth and like it's on a rail. Low and wide and stable - it looks lowered, but it's not. Pearl color is beautiful. Moonroof is real quiet when open, whereas the Acura RL we tested was noisy. Leather is real soft and comfy, even tho I was not a leather guy when buying. The sound system is the best I have ever heard in an uncustomized setup. WOW! My wife had to have this car, and now I'm glad we got it. Trouble free, quiet, dependable, sporty and luxury.

Sound system!

Stronger springs on the trunk lid so it stays up if on a hill. That's all!!?? Big deal!