Used 2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Like-a-Rock
By RedBaron

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Previous sedan was Jaguar xj-40. This GS 300 is much better, more reliable, and far fewer maintenance issues. Running 17" wheels w/Toyo Proxes. May go to 18" wheels next. Yes, could use more back-seat legroom. Off like a shot with a tap of the accelerator. Corners great and tracks steady. Have 130,000 miles and still get 26-28 highway mpg. Will buy a GS 350 next. Gotta love 'em.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, reliability, clean looks.

Suggested Improvements

18" x 8 wheels.

Great GS
By Vince

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just traded in my 2000 Volvo s80 T6 for this 2000 GS. Wow, what a great car! The car shifts gears so smooth you can't even tell when it shifts. Performance is way better than than what it says on the website. I have ran 0-60 in about 5.9-6.5. There is no way it takes 7.7 to get to 60. The regular stereo doesn't have enough bass or speakers so get the mark levinson one. The leather seats are very soft but at the same time hold you in place as you go around a curv. Reliability is excellent. When I bought this car the lexus mechanic said this is the best inline 6 engine made. All around this is a great car.

Favorite Features

Leather, performance, great handling, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system, larger wheels, a few more hp would be nice.

GS 300 Platinum
By DanO

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Drives smooth and like it's on a rail. Low and wide and stable - it looks lowered, but it's not. Pearl color is beautiful. Moonroof is real quiet when open, whereas the Acura RL we tested was noisy. Leather is real soft and comfy, even tho I was not a leather guy when buying. The sound system is the best I have ever heard in an uncustomized setup. WOW! My wife had to have this car, and now I'm glad we got it. Trouble free, quiet, dependable, sporty and luxury.

Favorite Features

Sound system!

Suggested Improvements

Stronger springs on the trunk lid so it stays up if on a hill. That's all!!?? Big deal!

Best Car Ever
By bill

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm a salesmanager and travel extensively. I trade cars every 2 years until now. My GS is the finest most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned. And my Lexus dealer is more than terrific. Comfort, handling, looks, are all top notch. The ONLY complaints would be lack of steering wheel controls for sound system and the requirement of premium fuel for a car with modest (200) horespower. A more accurate quote would be,"Lexus, there really isn't any substitute"

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design. Quality leather and great feeling controls. Dash lights are truly unique.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, radio controls on steering wheel, improved sound system from good to best.

Runs Perfect at 100,000 miles!
By DWF

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 2000 GS300 was purchased used off eBay at a good price in June 2005 with 90k miles. No rust, ran perfect, great shape. But, I decided to refresh it anyway by replacing all rotors (drilled/slotted), brakes, timing belt, water pump, complete tune-up, alignment, replaced cam seals, flushed and replaced all fluids and had it detailed. It looks and runs like a brand new car. Best car I ever owned old or new in 20 yrs. You can really feel the quality that went into the design and construction. Ride is smooth and quiet, shifts like silk, sound system very nice. At 100,000 miles now, it is just getting broken in and should last another 200,000. Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Nice comfortable quiet ride on the highway. Plenty of interior room. Great sound system with factory sub. Solid, quality car. Reliable. Averages 26 MPG.