Used 2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

Disco III?
By autopower

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This LR3 was a loaner in great condition. Was looking for a Disco II but could not find one in the condition I wanted. The driving position is great. The Xenon headlamps are wonderful. I can attest to the outstanding off-road capability of the LR3 [thank you Land Rover Driving Experience]. I now have over 20000 miles on it, and no problems. I average about 17.5 mpg in mixed driving. The 3rd row is more tolerable for adults on short trips than my previous Acura MDX. I usually have the 3rd row folded flat with a mat over it for cargo duty. It does it all.

Favorite Features

Air suspension...off-road capability...driving safety/ security...Bluetooth...Harmon/Kardon sound system...a moonroof for each row.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Bluetooth more usable, such as access to numbers stored in the phone [BMW has done it right].

Considering a Land Rover?
By beavers52

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I would encourage anyone considering the purchase of a new Land Rover to do your research - review customer comments, check JD Powers ratings, etc. I wish I had done so. Unfortunately, I purchased a new LR3. Nothing but problems with the vehicle - cheap interior parts - electrical problems - frequent mechanical issues. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase of a LR to think twice before doing so - there has got to me more to a car than "good looks".

Favorite Features

Exterior looks

Good but quirky
By RJD

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

As the other reviewers said, it is solid, heavy, and safe. I feel comfortable when wife is driving it with our daughter. But for the money, there are so many quirky things that go wrong, the tire pressure guage is faulty, had an issue with brakes, the issue with water coming in the car from the sunroof, etc. It is a solid car, but Costco is the only jungle I'm headed to. Too many off road features and not enough attention directed to designing a slick, ergonomic cockpit. Way too many buttons, and the nav totally stinks. A paper map is more useful. My Acura TL has a nav that blows this away. I'll be turning my lease in in 2 months and not getting another.

Favorite Features

Everyone loves how the car raises and lowers, but my all time favorite features are the heated winshield and the tailgate. Great for having a picnic right out of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, better interior

So far great Land Rover
By LR3

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Second Land Rover that I have owned. First was a Disco III that I loved but also hated for the reliability. So far the LR3 has been great. No issues. The LR3 is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. I have done multiple long road trips and multiple off road trips. The only drawback to the car in my opinion is the fuel, but what can you do about that with a V8. I have also done moderate towing (other cars on trailers and boats) and the LR3 handles it well. It's only 2 yrs old so we will see how it holds up in the long run.

Favorite Features

The comfort of the vehicle and the space in the back. Room for 7 adults to seat comfortably or fold all the seats completely flat and load a ton in the back. I actually put fork mounts on the back of the seats to put my bikes on the inside for transport.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of so far.

Eats tires - Beware
By faganravens

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle in April 06 and will turn it in early. It is a capable and comfortable SUV, but it eats rear tires. LR does not tell you about the TSB on its tires until after you chew through your first set at about 15K. I am on the second set of $1000 tires and they are going bald in the back at 34K. The vehicle is too expense to replace tires every year. Not isolated, see class action lawsuit against LR.

Favorite Features

looks and ride are fine

Suggested Improvements

Fix camber issue that destroys vehicle value