2006 Land Rover LR3 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Purpose built
By bgsntth

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Have 10K on our LR3, and in that time it has seen duty on/off-road, snow, soccer mom stuff, and as a surf vehicle. The third-row seat is amazing for its room and comfort. The rear cargo area is like an enclosed pick-up. The ride is smooth and rarely bottoms- out, though the handling is somewhat ponderous and could benefit from the Dynamic Response System in the RRS. Off- road it is, of course, amazing. I took 6 people on an off-road tour, which included a 30 degree slope ascent over loose dirt. We use the air suspension daily for loading, extra suspension travel over speed bumps, and warding off door dings in combination with the side-steps. It is ungainly in appearance, but ungodly practical.

Favorite Features

Terrain Response - "Honey, just turn the dial to Snow mode and you will be fine. Third-row and cargo area. Air suspension. Rugged-interior. Standard Stereo. All the cupholders and storage areas. Front-seat room for someone 6'4" and 210lbs. Inability to work seat with- out engine running.

Suggested Improvements

The TDV8, now! Sunroof delete option. Wife is offput by the practical starkness of the interior, which the 2008 HSE rectified. Reclining 2nd row. Give us a non-Brembo version of the Dynamic Response System. Bigger and more appropriate rubber (e.g., 275/60- 18 Yoko A/T-S's.Why skinny VR rated tires?

Happy With LR3
By Patrick

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have over 30,000 miles on my LR3 and have been very happy with the vehicle. Have gone off road and on road, and its been near perfect

Favorite Features

Off road ability; sun roofs for light and design

Suggested Improvements

Add lumbar support (I think they did) add a wood trim ( i think they did)and more interior color choices.

Awesome Truck
By Ken

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is absolutely the best off-road/on- road combination SUV I have ever had. My wife has an ML-500 and we have owned a GX-470, ML-350, Grand Cheerokee, Lincoln Mark LT 4X4 and Jeep Wranglers. This is the best truck for the buck going. It has been bullet proof, unlike any of the others, I take it on Off road excursions where I would never take my Jeep and have never had a problem or gotten stuck. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking a cool, competent and reliable performer.

Favorite Features

Ease of selecting the 4X4 drive train options. Great sound system. Adjustable supension. The visability is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The Key needs to go. More power ports. Get rid of the green background colors on the intertainment system and speedometer info window.

Great SUV
By DriverLR3

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Excellent SUV overall. No problems other than regular maintenance. Maybe a bit underpowered but overall we are very happy with it.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, the stereo is great.

Suggested Improvements

Voice recognition for the navigation system does not work very well. A V6 TDI version of this car (as Land Rover sells it in Europe) would be a much better match for the US driving habits.

Great 4X4 Luxury Ride ... No Complaints!
By PRinSanAntonio

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Owned the LR3 for over a month and we love it. It is fully loaded. It is so versatile, loaded with all the luxury features anyone could need. So far no issues at all, it runs great and has wonderful road presence, plenty of power w/V8. Our dealer is wonderful, and if something does happen, so what, we drive another Land Rover. How is that a bad thing? Plus no cost maintenance. Most people dream of driving such an awesome truck. Bottomline - If people could afford to drive them, everyone would. We feel very fortunate to own this vehicle.

Favorite Features

All the tech is working fine. Bluetooth phone is nice to have and really think the HIDs are super. The split tailgate is good design. Feel like we can drive thru anything. My combined MPG is 17.5, so not too bad at all for 5700lb truck.

Suggested Improvements

Never can have enough engine power. Squeeze more out of the V8 or eventually put a nice turbo diesel in it for max torque. Ventilated seats would be a dream addition.

TWO LR3'S
By Steve

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased two LR3's new. One has been plagued with electrical problems, the other perfect...go figure. The dealer, as nice as can be, has not yet been able to correct cruise control and ABS problems on the troubled LR3. I'm on my third trip to the dealer. Fortunately, they give you an LR3 free as a loaner. That said, they are wonderful cars..maybe the best overall vehicles I've ever owned. I live in the mountains near Telluride, Colorado. Our home is off a rural dirt highway. I often use the suspension height lever to clear deep snow. You will love this vehicle..you will probably love your dealer (at least ours), but be prepared for some trying moments.

Favorite Features

Views from all 3 rows of seating. Ride quality. Looks. Comfort. My clients love this car! No rattles.

Suggested Improvements

Aux input to stereo not adjustable. Get the bugs out of the on-board computers. Offer a diesel engine. Squeaky brakes. Great dealer support, crummy factory support.

You only live once, buy yourself an LR3!
By Chris

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this car/truck. It has all of the creature comforts one could want, but the designers haven't forgotten what a Land Rover is supposed to be about. It is great for towing, slogging through a blizzard, and 4- wheeling in the national forest. It handles great, has a great sound- system, and ummm ummm, those heated seats in the front and back are great in Wisconsin winters.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, and comfort!

Suggested Improvements

The bane of any SUV...mileage. I barely have it broken in, but my mileage has improved markedly. I recently took a 160 mile drive on secondary roads and averaged just under 22mpg and if a cop my not see this I might even confess to driving 75mph. I just hope it gets better.

I should have listened to my husband
By Kelly Weaver

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After owning about six reliable Toyotas, We purchased a 2006 LR3. While the car is fun and rugged, it has not proved to be a reliable, quality vehicle at all. Many of the problems have been minor (broken seat belt, gas cap fell apart, bright lights come on with blinker, etc.)but there are a couple of larger issues we are still trying to solve regarding suspension and the radio(which sounds incredible when it is working). The suspension fault indicator sometimes comes on daily for no reason. I had a problem with something else that was causing the check engine light to come on, which required two trips to the dealership to have a part changed out. Too many aggravations.

Favorite Features

Harmon Kardon sound, roominess, cargo space, visibility,

Suggested Improvements

Improve over all quality to match cost of vehicle, power seat should work when car is turned off, radio should go off when car is turned off, improved acceleration in V6

King of the Road
By upper midwest

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Was a Volvo wagon owner and follower but always admired Landrover. Was concerned about reliability, but after a bad dealership customer service experience at Volvo, I traded my vehicle in for a demo 2006 LR3. The ride is phenomenal. I'm 6'1, 205 lbs and there's nothing like Landrover headroom, they are second to none. The seats are firm and supportive, and the instrumentation clear. An extremely technologically advanced vehicle as far as stereo, electronic gizmos i.e. rain sensor wipers, backup alarm, air suspension, ride dial and things I'm still discovering! The lure was all servicing is complimentary during warranty. Can't wait for the Minnesota snows!

Favorite Features

Heated front and rear seats, full 7 passenger seating. Bright headlights. Headroom headroom headroom! Comfortable ride, comfortable seats, and multizone air/heating system. And enough cupholders for an entire soccer team.

Suggested Improvements

The big rig ain't shy at the gas pump, but you know that going in.

Do not buy this unreliable piece of junk
By House

2006 Land Rover LR3 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've had this vehicle for 1 1/2 years and I'm counting down the days to turn it in. Thank god I only got a 2 year lease. I had to put all new tires at 16,000 miles. Every time it rains my wife gets soaked with water pouring in from the overhead lamps. It's been in the shop about 6 times in the last 18 months for various flaws. One day we were on a family trip in the winter and the LR3 simply shut down in the middle of the road.

Favorite Features

Looks good. Very roomy with kids and dog

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the price tag to $20,000 or build a new vehicle.