2006 Kia Sportage Consumer Review: Very good value but with subpa

2006 Kia Sportage - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (2.7L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Very good value but with subpar engine
By H Vu on

2006 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 19k miles at a dealership for only $12k and it is still under factory warranty. This is a loaded EX 2wd model. It is a vibrant blue color and looks great inside and out. The car is relatively quiet and comfortable and fit and finish appears to be very good. I do have a problem with one of the rear passenger interior door handles not working, but I can just take that in any time to get it fixed. The interior leather seems to be very durable and should up up to many years of use. The premium stereo system sounds good, though loading and unloading cds into the 6-disc changer is very slow and cumbersome. Exterior lighting is very bright, both headlights and tail.

Favorite Features

This is a fantastic value considering all of the safety and luxury features, warranty, and low price. The resale value is poor but if you can buy a late model used one like I did, this actually makes it an even better value in my opinion since most of the depreciation has already occurred.

Suggested Improvements

I drive easy, but still find the V6 engine lacking. I get passed routinely going up hills unless I use the manual shift mode and keep the revs high. Engine is fairly smooth and quiet until you rev passed about 4k, then it gets really noisy. Gas mileage is also disappointing at under 21 mpg overall.