1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )
The Good & The Bad
By vande on 03/08/11 10:35 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I fell in love with the VX when I first saw it back in 2000, so when I came accross one while car shopping I knew my decision was instantly made. Now that I have been the owner of a coveted silver Isuzu VX for over a year, I have mixed felings about her...BTW, her name is Twiggy, named after the sexy little robot from the old Buck Rogers TV show.

Great in Sno
By Woody on 04/05/10 21:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

My VehiCross has over 140K miles and I have driven it 102K over the last 4.5 years with no reliability issues and it is still running strong. This vehicle is the best in snow I have ever experienced and I live at 10,000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. It handles like a sports car, corners very well and climbs without hesitation. The seats are Recaro racing seats providing extreme comfort and support on long drives. Ground clearance is excellent as well. I think this is the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Isuzu engineering was excellent. It's too bad they are gone. I own 3 Isuzu SUVs currently and the ruggedness and reliability has been excellent.

Love our VX!!!
By cwillyrun on 01/19/09 15:32 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought a 1999 VX to replace an old 4runner. We had seen them when they first came out but had forgotten about them. When we ran into one at a car show, we realized THIS is the car we've been looking for! It has character, drives like a sports car, is extremely comfortable, and is a great 4x4 (& in snow). Minor drawbacks: rear view (easy fix: get a back up camera and learn to turn your head!), cup holders (replacing 6-disk CD changer with one), head room (due to sunroof; okay with seats leaned back slightly), and front passenger toe room under dash. And to think, the design is 9 years old! We love our V-CROSS!

Smooth driving tank
By Woody on 05/16/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I commute 90 mi each way from 10K ft to 5k ft daily. The VC is a tank in snow and is smooth and secure on the road. I put 79K mi of it's 113K without mechanical problems. It has always used oil, though. Keep the fuel system clean to minimize oil consumption. I get 18-20 MPG. The torque on demand 4WD is great but the ability to switch to 2WD would increase gas mileage. Handling is superb and acceleration is very good. Seat comfort is excellent. Access to back seats is inadequate except for children. Even though capable off-road the ride on rough roads is jarring. Visibility to the back is horrible. I will likely put in a rebuilt engine when the time comes because there is nothing to match it.

An original owner... not happy
By Steve on 12/12/05 17:07 PM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought a 1999 VehiCross when they first came out, to stand out from the crowd. It certainly looks different from anything out there. However, it's all style and very little practicality. The cargo area is relatively small, the back seats have been a joke, visibility is downright dangerous (I feel safer on my motorcycle) and I couldn't stand long distance trips - very uncomfortable after a while. Unfortunately the engine started burning oil like there's no tomorrow (2 qts a month) a few months ago, which I've found out is a normal thing for the 3.5L V6. Now I've just been told it's broken a valve and I need a new engine.... JUST outside the powertrain warranty at 69k miles. Bye bye Isuzu..

3 years
By Shibumi520 on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I leased this car for almost 4 years. I loved the looks and design of the car. But now that gas prices are a lot higher, its really difficult to keep this car running. After purchasing a sedan, i realized that the ride in the VehiCross isn't as comfortable as i had imagined it to be. You will always get people turning their heads to see what you are driving, but don't drive it long distances, or you'll be looking for the back heating pad.

After owning one...
By carlymac on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

The Vehicross is a bulldog on and off the road. It's 3.5L engine provides the pep to overtake traffic with ease. It's TOD (torque on demand) system allows the truck to automatically go from 2H to 4H. However theres a transfer lever for 4L. The exterior is superbly engineered. The dash is a bit Blagh. However the leather Recaro racing seats and faux carbon fiber panels make up for the interior shortcomings. Visibility is a real issue. The rear window is practically useless and the c- pillars hide cars. The past 3 years spent in this little truck have been priceless, and the future is certian...I will never sell this little truck called the VehiCROSS.

Loving Every Minute of It
By berthabert on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

After driving this vehicle over 47,000 miles, I can honestly say that I still love. I never get tired of looking at it or driving it. It takes me anywhere I wish to go, in style. As a volunteer firefighter, I have to get places in a hurry, and this vehicle helps me do that.

vehicross
By TIGER66 on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

fun suv for the sports car oriented person. Handles very well. Certainly a looker with love-it or hate-it looks. Limited production makes it so you do not see yourself coming and going all around you. TOD handles very well in all weather, snow, rain, etc.

The ISUZU VehiCROSS 1 Unique Vehicle.
By TDAWGVX on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

AWESOME just AWESOME. This SUV has the looks and the aggression to make people snap their heads and wonderif it's a new 2004 model considering that it's run started in 1999 and ended in 2001. ISUZU has diffently gone farther than any other Automobile Company when it comes to creating an SUV that doesn't look like the others.