Used 2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV - Consumer Reviews

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Great SUV wish they still made them in the USA.
By James

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV wish they still made them in the USA, good thing it they don't break down as long as you take care of them. owned 5 of them over the years and still own 3 today. 1st Trooper 1989, 2nd 1998, 3rd 2001, 4th 2002 5th 2001. total estimated cost of repairs not including the normal tires and bakes and exhaust.
1989 Heater core = $300.00
2001, 2002 Two Transmission = $1800 each.
2002 Fuel tank = $400.00
2001 Exhaust system = $1200
Most impressive thing about them is they don't rust, I live in New England MA. where we salt the roads all winter.
2nd most impressive thing about them is the minimal damage in a accident, Ask the 2014 Jeep Cherokee that hit my 2001 Trooper in the quarter panel, Jeep was totaled its engine and front wheel pushed into the cab of the Jeep thank god the people lived. My Trooper had a flat tire and dent and drove it home after we put air in the tire. After seeing accident now two police offices that responded own Troopers.

Engine and transmission
By WYODRIVER

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Complete transmission failure at 36,000 mi. and engine failure at 50,000. Both were replaced under warranty. Lots of room and performs reasonably well in the snow.

10 yr./100,000 mile warranty to the original purchaser. Great interior space. Cargo door swings to the side.

Engine and transmission reliability. Cargo door latch. Warranty needs to be transferable to hold the resale value of the car.

Built like a tank
By SteveK

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used a year old 17,000 miles for 1/2 price of new. At 78,000 miles torque converter bearing failed costing me $900 at a trusted transmission shop, dealer wanted $4500 for a whole transmission. Other than that this car has had zero problems , absolutely no work other than one brake job, a few light bulbs and regular fluid changes..well over 100k now. It really is built like tank. I use it to haul family, lots of gear, and towing. 4WD low gear combined with high ground clearance is useful if you need it. Not for everyone but a good off road vehicle priced very low. Maybe I'm lucky, but have many friends with Ford/Chevy SUVs who had to replace everything but the engine by 100K

Reliability, cargo capacity, gearing, ground clearance, well accessorized for the price

gas mileage (ouch), that lousy converter bearing

My 2nd Trooper
By Quynn

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had some problems with the Transmission too and my mileage is low. The RPMs go crazy & I had problems braking. I drive a little, turn off car & restart sometimes fixes problem. My drivers seat does NOT go all the way back. I'm 5'4" & have short legs and seat is problem along with contour. I had a 88 Trooper & loved it. I like this too but I wish the seats were manual & the CD player was of better quality. Lots of room, I can put 2 bird cages, 3 cat carriers and 1-50 lbs dog & their food, in cargo area in case of hurricane evacuation. The "check engine" thingie is broken. I had it reset twice. 2 weeks later, when I gassed up, the light came back on.

The rear door - I love that swing out door and large cargo area. I had to add running boards to make getting in and out easier.

Sadly I think Isuzu has withdrawn from the US Market. It will be a sad day for me when I give up my Trooper. I try to find a honda model to replace my trooper. Isuzu why did you abandoned us?

Solid Truck
By Bill

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is comfortable and fun in one vehicle. I can drive it in a sand pit and the highway. The reliability is amazing. The interior is spacious and comfortable.

RELIABILITY. Fun.

Gas mileage, 3rd row seat standard. Make new ones available in the United States.