Used 2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

Engine and transmission
By WYODRIVER

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Complete transmission failure at 36,000 mi. and engine failure at 50,000. Both were replaced under warranty. Lots of room and performs reasonably well in the snow.

Favorite Features

10 yr./100,000 mile warranty to the original purchaser. Great interior space. Cargo door swings to the side.

Suggested Improvements

Engine and transmission reliability. Cargo door latch. Warranty needs to be transferable to hold the resale value of the car.

Built like a tank
By SteveK

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used a year old 17,000 miles for 1/2 price of new. At 78,000 miles torque converter bearing failed costing me $900 at a trusted transmission shop, dealer wanted $4500 for a whole transmission. Other than that this car has had zero problems , absolutely no work other than one brake job, a few light bulbs and regular fluid changes..well over 100k now. It really is built like tank. I use it to haul family, lots of gear, and towing. 4WD low gear combined with high ground clearance is useful if you need it. Not for everyone but a good off road vehicle priced very low. Maybe I'm lucky, but have many friends with Ford/Chevy SUVs who had to replace everything but the engine by 100K

Favorite Features

Reliability, cargo capacity, gearing, ground clearance, well accessorized for the price

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage (ouch), that lousy converter bearing

My 2nd Trooper
By Quynn

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had some problems with the Transmission too and my mileage is low. The RPMs go crazy & I had problems braking. I drive a little, turn off car & restart sometimes fixes problem. My drivers seat does NOT go all the way back. I'm 5'4" & have short legs and seat is problem along with contour. I had a 88 Trooper & loved it. I like this too but I wish the seats were manual & the CD player was of better quality. Lots of room, I can put 2 bird cages, 3 cat carriers and 1-50 lbs dog & their food, in cargo area in case of hurricane evacuation. The "check engine" thingie is broken. I had it reset twice. 2 weeks later, when I gassed up, the light came back on.

Favorite Features

The rear door - I love that swing out door and large cargo area. I had to add running boards to make getting in and out easier.

Suggested Improvements

Sadly I think Isuzu has withdrawn from the US Market. It will be a sad day for me when I give up my Trooper. I try to find a honda model to replace my trooper. Isuzu why did you abandoned us?

Solid Truck
By Bill

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is comfortable and fun in one vehicle. I can drive it in a sand pit and the highway. The reliability is amazing. The interior is spacious and comfortable.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY. Fun.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, 3rd row seat standard. Make new ones available in the United States.

Very Happy
By Tam

2001 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I unfortunately, had to lease my 2001 Isuzu Trooper but I can say that as of today I've enjoyed having it. I have always wanted an SUV but didn't want to have one leased to me but all in all I am enjoying my truck, well it'll be my truck the end of next year, ha! I had a little transmission problems after I got that fixed I ran into a small minor problem, mechanical; but after all that my truck has been driving really good. I get a little concerned with how quiet it was opposed to now it's a little loud but not too loud. So I assume that's minor as well. I love the sunroof, it shows off the black exterior and the tan interior of the truck. I look sexy in my truck. But love my truck, love it.

Favorite Features

The fact that the exterior is black and the interior is tan. The heated seats in the winter work very well and the height of the truck itself.