Used 1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:

best car I ever owned
By jbarta

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD

best car I ever owned, sorry I sold it at 168k miles

The Best SUV Ever, especially for depreciated used pricing!
By lakeshow23

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second Trooper I've purchased on the used market, after simultaneously owning a '99 Trooper and a '99 4Runner. The Trooper is so much better than the 4Runner it wasn't close. The 4Runner cost like twice the amount on the used market, had way less features for the money, less space, less power, lower interior build quality, more delicate exterior paint that loses its gloss, I went ahead and sold the 4Runner and pocketed the cash. IMO the Trooper also has more style and is more comfortable. The build quality of the interior, the chassis, this is a really strong truck! Take an Explorer of the same year and it's obvious the Trooper stood the test of time! Superbly designed.

The TOD transmission is flawless. It works beautifully in poor weather including ice, snow, mud, and the gauges displays which wheels have power which is helpful during trips. The interior build quality, featuring precision assembly... everything is so expertly assembled that it makes cars of any price class or any price marvel with jealousy. The classic style that looks great considering it dates back for the most part to 1992! Still modern! The comfort. The layout. The buttons. The tall stance. The large windshield. All the grab handles inside. The rear seat footrests. The rear seat folding in multiple positions. The power folding side mirrors, even back to 1992. Huge sunroof!

The only thing the late year Troopers lack over late model SUV's seems to be the newer electronics and also air conditioning systems with booster fans for a/c vents for rear passengers. But these are minor gripes. Swap out the factory Isuzu head unit for a 50w X 4 Kenwood Mosfet, and it is amazing how high quality the factory sound system becomes with factory speakers and tweets with the factory amplifier. The sound quality of the stereo then becomes on par with the best from Mercedes, Range Rover, Lexus, etc, but for Isuzu used car prices! Very little to improve. The Trooper is as close to perfect as it can get... maybe some better gas mileage which I don't expect from an SUV anyway.

12 Years and running strong. Till death.
By red ryder

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had our Trooper since it was new back in 1998. It is a true trooper. People cannot believe it is a 1998. It looks better than some of the newer cars. I take it everywhere. Just recently the Catalytic Converters went out so I replaced them and the next bothersome thing is the timing belts that need to be replaced every 90,000 miles or so but other than that this car has been reliable and very versatile. I would never want another car. We are taking this to the grave with us.

4X4 what can I say. Excellent storage room. Ample leg room for the front and the rear.

Maybe third row seating. Then again that would take away all the rear area storage compartment.

98 Isuzu Trooper
By kitson

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoy driving this vehicle. It's very comfortable and spacious with lots of room in the back for pretty much anything. It's also fun to drive and has great pickup. And it's great in snowy or muddy conditions. My only real complaints are its low mpg rating and I've been having a strange problem with the front tires when backing out of parking spaces, and no one can figure out why it's doing this. Also the sound system isn't so great. But otherwise, it's a great car and you can get a real bargain on it. So if you can afford the gas, I highly recommend this vehicle.

The spacious and comfortable interior and the 4WD.

Not that it matters now since they've stopped making this model, but finding some way to make a model with a more efficient fuel economy.

I loved this SUV
By THE VERY BEST

1998 Isuzu Trooper SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned about 4 suvs and this was by far my very favorite! I am very hard on cars and this one took every thing I had and kept on going! I ran it out of gas,oil and never got a tune up and it still ran like a champ. I am very sad to have to get rid of it but with gas prices out of control I have no choice. I will miss this car!

The huge moonroof was great!

It ate a little more oil the some others i've owned.