1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )
Loved my QX4!
By jan on 07/03/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 infiniti qx4 new replacing my 1993 pathfinder. The qx4 is light years nicer than the pathfinder! Qx4 is the most reliable, comfortable and trouble free vehicle ever! Bose stereo rocks! Scheduled maintenance and a small repair here and there in the 167,000 miles I drove it! Michelin xlt 100,000 mi. All weather SUV tires are awesome on qx4! So disappointed infiniti discontinued it! Just traded for a BMW x5 -- it was time -- although qx4 is still running beautifully and everything works perfectly! Amazing in all aspects! If you adhere to regular service schedule -- this is the best car ever! Love the 2wd/awd/4wd option - - never got stuck or slid on bad roads!

The best suv I have ever driven
By skiper on 06/24/09 00:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv rocks! From the first day I bought it till now I have had no problems. Being in the field of fixing and driving cars daily this is by far the best suv I have driven. Yes the engine could have been more powerful, but the comfort and reliability of this vehicle outweighs this factor. The 4 wheel drive system is the best and most reliable it compares with Land Rover which is considered the best in 4 wheel drive system. If you want to be safe and and never get stuck this is the car for you.

QX4 Years Later
By Infinity Qx4 on 04/12/08 04:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used in 1998 with 40K miles. It is 2008 and it has 191,000 miles. I drive about 19K miles per year and it has been a great vehicle with the sunroof, Bose stereo and seat warmers. I started having problems about 3 years ago and rebuilt the transmission $2,500. I'm now looking at rebuilding again another $2500. The first transmission should have held up and now it is threatening to leave me stranded so I'm selling prior to keeping it with the high miles. Other problems included a bizzare rear-end problem that the dealer couldn't fix. Firestone finally fixed that, but the vehicle felt like it would roll or shake after an 18 wheeler prior to the fix. Perfect for a driver of less miles.

Most reliable SUV ever
By frankwick on 05/24/07 11:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Over 120,000 miles and not a single repair required. ZERO DOLLARS SPENT on repairs. I have changed my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and the motor hums like it did the day I bought it. It's now 2007 and the body is looking dated compared to newer cars like the FX and Murano, but this is still a solid car. We have had several snow and ice storms and the 4-wheel drive makes me feel very secure when the wife/kids areout driving. While others were stuck inside, we were out enjoying the day.

A Great Car!
By jbr0180 on 07/11/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the car new and it's only been the repair shop once (besides oil changes and brake pads) and we didn't have to take it in. The Battery died and they came to the house and replaced it. This was when the car was six! We’ve owned Mercedes, BMWs, AUDIs before and during the time we’ve owned this car but none have been as dependable. It’s eerily reliable! Only complaints are the Bose stereo isn’t of German quality and it’s not powerful like a German auto (you can tell when you are merging into busy freeways).

Best Car
By Loves the QX4 on 02/15/05 16:46 PM (PST)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Best car I've ever owned. 92000 miles, no leaks rattles or squeaks. Only one warranty claim, ac covered completely. I'll buy another car from Infiniti.

Outstanding SUV
By Infinityguy on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Without question, this is a top quality vehicle. The ride, appearance, fit and finish are all above what you would expect when changing from one of the domestics. This is the closest I have come to carefree driving.

Infiniti
By sstraite on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I Love this vehicle! It is Luxurious, and reliable. I feel very safe driving it. Classy and dependable. I have towed my 2000 pound Tent Trailer with no problems in the mountains, etc. You just have to take it easy and allow the vehicle to go about 50 mph up steep roads, but that is no big deal to me!

It's a beautiful slug...
By jsweb on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Ours has about 90,000 miles on it and we haven't really had any problems with it. The interior is luxurious, the sound system is top-notch, and it handles great off-road. The auto-4wd feature works fantastic in icy conditions. The engine is WAY underpowered, growly, and noisy, totally contradictory to what a luxury vehicle should be, however. The interior is cramped for my 6'3" frame, but my 5'1" wife loves it.

QX4 Review
By stew0530 on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

No defects found at time of purchase. Never has had a breakdown, stall, etc., most reliable vehicle I've ever had. Friends marvel at it's comfortable, quiet ride.