Used 1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Loved my QX4!
By jan

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 infiniti qx4 new replacing my 1993 pathfinder. The qx4 is light years nicer than the pathfinder! Qx4 is the most reliable, comfortable and trouble free vehicle ever! Bose stereo rocks! Scheduled maintenance and a small repair here and there in the 167,000 miles I drove it! Michelin xlt 100,000 mi. All weather SUV tires are awesome on qx4! So disappointed infiniti discontinued it! Just traded for a BMW x5 -- it was time -- although qx4 is still running beautifully and everything works perfectly! Amazing in all aspects! If you adhere to regular service schedule -- this is the best car ever! Love the 2wd/awd/4wd option - - never got stuck or slid on bad roads!

Bose stereo, sun/moon roof, fabulous ride, quality leather and carpets, high visibility mirrors, heated electric adjustable seats, excellent reliability; fun road trip and shopping car! QX4 standard features are stellar! Only options were sunroof and off-road package! Deluxe interior/exterior.

Gas mileage -- combined 18; hwy 20. Cup holders in center console a bit awkward. Infinity should have kept making this vehicle! The FX is like driving a coffin and the Q56 is so huge! Pathfinder is not close in quality and everything is an option!

The best suv I have ever driven
By skiper

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This suv rocks! From the first day I bought it till now I have had no problems. Being in the field of fixing and driving cars daily this is by far the best suv I have driven. Yes the engine could have been more powerful, but the comfort and reliability of this vehicle outweighs this factor. The 4 wheel drive system is the best and most reliable it compares with Land Rover which is considered the best in 4 wheel drive system. If you want to be safe and and never get stuck this is the car for you.

dependability, 4 wheel drive system, and comfort

there are none, this is the best of the best

QX4 Years Later
By Infinity Qx4

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used in 1998 with 40K miles. It is 2008 and it has 191,000 miles. I drive about 19K miles per year and it has been a great vehicle with the sunroof, Bose stereo and seat warmers. I started having problems about 3 years ago and rebuilt the transmission $2,500. I'm now looking at rebuilding again another $2500. The first transmission should have held up and now it is threatening to leave me stranded so I'm selling prior to keeping it with the high miles. Other problems included a bizzare rear-end problem that the dealer couldn't fix. Firestone finally fixed that, but the vehicle felt like it would roll or shake after an 18 wheeler prior to the fix. Perfect for a driver of less miles.

Sunroof, Bose stereo and seat warmer, built on car frame.

None.

Most reliable SUV ever
By frankwick

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Over 120,000 miles and not a single repair required. ZERO DOLLARS SPENT on repairs. I have changed my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles and the motor hums like it did the day I bought it. It's now 2007 and the body is looking dated compared to newer cars like the FX and Murano, but this is still a solid car. We have had several snow and ice storms and the 4-wheel drive makes me feel very secure when the wife/kids areout driving. While others were stuck inside, we were out enjoying the day.

Solid 4-wheel drive in crazy weather, crazy good reliability record, good handling/steering, versatile cargo area with easy to flip down seats.

Under-powered 3.3 liter motor, gas mileage is not great, but I don't think any SUVs are. I wish they still made this car.

A Great Car!
By jbr0180

1998 Infiniti QX4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the car new and it's only been the repair shop once (besides oil changes and brake pads) and we didn't have to take it in. The Battery died and they came to the house and replaced it. This was when the car was six! Weve owned Mercedes, BMWs, AUDIs before and during the time weve owned this car but none have been as dependable. Its eerily reliable! Only complaints are the Bose stereo isnt of German quality and its not powerful like a German auto (you can tell when you are merging into busy freeways).

RIDE, DRIVE, and Reliability

Better stereo and more power! Which were all addressed in the 2000 face- lift!