Used 2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tucson model:

One of the most under rated small SUV's
By Bob Senter

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Super reliable, easy to live with, easy to drive and park, carries 5 people with ease, comfortable on long trips and tons of utility and space. Not the pretties SUV ever built but definitely one of the best.

POS avoid
By cetaceans

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do not get. I bought brand new for fiancee at the time and before 40,000 had to replace clutch, power steering, alternator, etc. It had an electrical fire. Not comfortable at all. I am 5'6 and have to sit with knees rubbing the plastic under the wheel to press the clutch. Has so many airbags in little space that if I got into accident they would snap by neck. Two of the doors will not lock- not even manually. Power mirrors stopped working not a fuse. Still can not turn with out feeling like I am working out. Think 5 recall letters.

Love This SUV
By Love My First SUV

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've only owned this vehicle for a couple of months and I'm very pleased. This is my very first SUV. My sister owns a Sonata and my dad owns a 2007 Tucson and I've never heard them complain so I got one. My Tucson is a 2.0L 4-cyl but I like it. Could do a lot better on gas.

I love how the headlights turns off once the keys are removed from the ignition. Radio is also decent.

Make the center console armrest a little bigger

Best Vehicle I've Driven
By Greg S.

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

In driving cars since 1975 the Tucson is the best vehicle I've owned. Does it have shortcomings, of course. But, I knew that when I bought it. As of 8-16-10 I have 36,000 and not one problem. Tires are still very good, oil is changed every 3,000 to 4,000 and lubed. Preventive maintenance is key. The only thing I don't like it that it is noisy from a tire standpoint. Good mileage up to 27 mpg on the highway and about 22 in local traffic. It's just a nice vehicle.

I really like the CD and cassette feature. It is one of the reasons why I chose it. Comfortable seating for me and my wife. Smaller people like the back.

Not sure what can be done but more soundproofing coming from the wheels.

Does What I Want
By DAS

2008 Hyundai Tucson SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a used 2008 Hyundai Tucson 4x4, 2.7L V-6 last year from CarMax to replace our 2005 RAV4 after a wreck. So far, we are satisfied with the Tucson. I had a chance to try out the ABS, traction control, 4 wheel drive, and stability control several times this winter in New Mexico - it all works well. At 21k, the Bridgestones are already showing moderate wear, so we'll be looking at new tires probably by 30k or so. I'm not overly impressed with the 2.7L V-6. It's short on power and only averages around 19 to 20 mpg, giving us the power of a 4 and the mileage of a 6, the worst of both worlds. But it's reliable with no mechanical or quality issues. So far, so good.

The safety features give us a confident feeling on the open road. The Tucson may not be in the same league nor command as much respect as the RAV4 and CRV, but for the money, it's a heck of a good value.

I've already mentioned the engine. I was initially impressed with the dual tailpipes in the rear until I got under the vehicle to check out the exhaust and other parts and pieces. I was amused to find that the exhaust is only a single pipe and large muffler, with two tailpipes exiting the rear.