2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great Car
By pscarguy57 on 11/23/11 20:43 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have really enjoyed owning my Sonata GLS. The few problems with the car Hyundai covered the costs of repair under their 5 yrs/60,000 mile warranty. And they extended that warranty by 2 yrs/24000 miles because of the horse power class action. The car is quiet, rides smoothly and is a good size, not to big, but carries four adults in comfort. I added after market leather interior, and wood trim for the dash, door/arm rest. And Chrome TSW 16 inch wheels, looks great with the bright silver paint. I have 76000 miles on my car. I am the second owner of this vehicle, I bought the car with 9,000 miles on the odo. Still after nine years of ownership I still really love driving my Sonata.

My hyundai
By Metry on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well. i got my hyundai sonata from this man who said he bought it from a lady who had it for years, APPARENTLY, she didn't take care of it. I end up getting spark plugs, diff. fuel lines, fuel pump, catalytic converter and many tires. Paint is fading. Transmission is slipping. got my bushings & tie rod replaced on the passenger side, JUST A LOT. luckily i didn't have to pay for anything but the fuel pump (: STILL A LOT OF WORK. I'm ready to switch cars.

safety hazard
By roger khan on 10/13/09 09:24 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought used, while driving I would smell gas, so I popped the hood on inspection I saw that the fuel line that run to the fuel rail was leaking gas, I went to the junk yard to get one but the car I inspected had the same problem. I then had to pay $110 for a new line which is a foot long, the pully separated, paint fades on the hood, trunk and roof and front Windows are broken also inside the trunk were the spare tire goes is all roten out. Just like all the people who has had problem with this car I Wonder how do these cars past inspection. I called hyundia and informed of the problem "I am just glad the car did not blow up on me"so to all those who is thinking buying a Hyundai don't.

Hunk of Junk
By cabbie on 09/11/09 22:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car has had the following parts replaced. Sun roof motors(2X), Drivers side window(2X), Antenna Motor, Pwr stearing hose busted, Breaks and rotors every 27,000(3X),Transmission Seals, Every sensor under the hood, the oxy.sensor(3X)They said that doesn't qualify for lemon law. It has to break 4X. The Radio, The Battery died in 03. the exhaust rotted out - they wanted 1500.00 to replace that. The car now has 90,000 Mi. My mechanic told me that I need a new motor. Hyundai will not replace the motor because we are not the Original Owners. DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR BUY A FORD !!!

Cheap price = cheap stuff
By Gab on 08/15/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Sonata in 2006 at 38K. Since then, I've only had problems. I fixed most of them myself, but someone who can't would have spent a lot on those repairs. I'm only at 90K now and I changed the transmission, the alternator, spark plugs and spark plug wires (all of them 2 times), both windows motors, 2 suspension, suspension bushings, catalyser (it was under warranty, it's a 2500$ part), changed 3 wheel bearings, changed the battery, alternator strap, the wholes gas and break pipes under car, gas filter, and a lot more. I just received a letter (we're in middle 2009 now) from Hyundai. It is a re-call for the subframe, it has to be replaced because it is dangerous. Manufacture problems.

Very Dependable Vehicle
By dependable vehicle on 05/28/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this vehicle for approximately 9 years and it has been a good value for the money. I've never had any problems with it and will definitely buy another one when the time comes. The only drawback that I can think of is the manual shift, 4 cylinder doesn't have much power. Other than that, I love the car.

A realistic evaluation
By New Hyundai Fan on 02/17/09 20:36 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car when gas was expensive. It is very similar in size and displacements to our '99 Camry. This car is not a Camry, but is still a good solid car. A lot of the reviews of people really don't seem to understand that owning a car involves some preventative up-keep. I've had to have timing belts and brakes on both. Toyota Camry is the GOLD standard. But that isn't to say the Sonota isn't a good, solid vehicle. (It's probably not fair to compare the two. I've heard the new Sonata's are closer in feel to a Camry.) I would have no reservations buying one. The car is very similar in ergonomics, design, and power to my old '96 Accord. Thanks for reading.

The 4 Cyl. needed smoother shifting.
By Bruce Berwick on 11/29/08 19:00 PM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

I find that my Sonata doesn't shift smoothly between gears. The car is a great value in general. I have 58000 mi. on mine and it's still going strong. The Silver color paint is peeling, which isn't too great, and I garage it every night and use it just for pleasure.

waste money for a 35k miles 2000 sedan
By josua on 09/02/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a first owner, then I lost the 100k miles warranty. Rear wheel bearing, left front shaft, oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, tps sensor, front disc breakes worn out at 45k miles too much money to spend for a 70k miles car. Speed transmision sensor dealer said $500 plus 105 diagnostic fee. Crazy waste money. I drove this car by 20k miles and I have been spended at least 1500 dollars in parts and labor. So the fabricants are supposed to put some recalls for this car. The people who knows about cars doesn't recomend me Hyundai or kia any more. I don't understand how a company advertise 100k miles warranty for this car.

2000 Hyundai Sonota sub frame rot
By fariam on 06/18/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 11000 miles on it. Overall it has been pretty reliable until about 75000 miles I have had to replace all the wheel bearings. Now at 86000 miles the sub-frame is rotted from the inside out. This is the first time I have ever seen a sub frame rot on a vehicle less than 14 years old. It is a shame that Hyundai will build a car that the sub frame rots from the inside out. This is very dangerous and costly to repair.