1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Love my first car!!!
By christobal on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with only 8,700 miles on it in 2001. Since then I have had only good things to say. It has been more reliable than my mother's new Chevy Trailblazer and my brother's Jeep Grand Charokee. It goes great in the snow and I get very good gas mileage. I love this car. It is just the right size for me. My relative bought a 2001 Accent and what a great little car too. After driving hers I get in mine and realize mine is so much quieter and nicer. I have had no major problems with my car. Love it. Love it. Love it. Way to go Hyundai.

Very reliable little car
By Love my Lantra on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Elantra in June 2000 and 65,000 miles later have nothing but good things to say about it. I have yet to need to bring the car to the mechanic other than for scheduled maintenance...which is a very welcome change after my last car, a 92 Thunderbird which had a tendancy to blow head gaskets. The only complaint was with the factory stereo, but with the low price tag on the car(paid under $11,000) you have plenty left over to head to the electronics store and get a top notch aftermaket stereo installed. All in all, a great, reliable car for the money.

Broke down on me a lot!
By Lexas_p on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I can never trust this car. Every morning I get in it...I wonder if I'm going to make it to work.

Fun to start with, but just wait...
By msmit4wm on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

The cruise control was broken when I bought it. They fixed it under warranty after installing a new cruise switch and new cruise computer, after 3 trips to the dealer. List of things repaired/replaced so far (outside of normal wear and tear): front rotors resurfaced twice, replaced once, throttle position sensor, idle speed actuator motor, drivers side power window motor/track, exhaust manifold, fuel pressure regulator, both front interior door handles, rearview mirror, windshield, driver side window trim/gasket. The engine now idles so roughly that the steering wheel shakes violently...dealer claims there are no problems.

Great car for the money
By '65 Spitfire Driver on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car now for over 3 years and have put 80,000 miles on it. To be honest, I'm impressed. It's needed a few minor repairs along the way (most of which were covered under warranty) but nothing terribly serious. One minor complaint is the brakes...they seem to be prone to serious rotor warping. I just recently went out and bought a set of new rotors, but had to return to the dealer because no auto parts stores had the correct ones. Still...not bad. We've taken this car up in the mountains and it handles well and is impressive in the turns. I should have gotten a 5 speed, but oh well...there's always next time.

all the bang a lot less buck!
By Hondo the Hyundai on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have a 99 GL and this is a great car that i can rely on. I picked it up new for under $11,000 and it is as comfortable as my brothers 98 Honda Civic not to mention the Hyundai is faster. I will definetly buy a new Hyundai when this car wears out.

Elantra experience
By mythoughts on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the Elantra because I needed an inexpensive car quickly. The price was right and you certainly can't beat the warranty. It is a great value. That being said, I'm at the dealership FAR too regularly. The 'check engine' light is often on, but they never find a problem. The A/C works sporadically. The temperature gauge registers 'hot' though the technicians claim it is not running hot. They've advised me not to operate the A/C above setting 2 (4 settings available) as the motor burns out. The motor in mine has been replaced twice (6700 miles and 24000 miles). The radiator blew up and had to be replaced at 14000 miles.

A Great Little Car for the Money!!
By SloHands on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like my Elantra! It looks great for a 4 door car.Sporty and fun to drive. It is also very dependable.

Fun to drive
By chips on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The transmissioj failed at 69,000 miles. It was replaced by the 1000,000 mile warranty.

My Personal Opinion- for what it's worth
By B. Lougnot on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used for a few reasons: 1) It was affordable 2) It looks nice 3) It was comfortable 4) I liked the features. I have had no mechanical problems at all. I change to oil as required. At which time all belts, hoses, etc. are checked. I've haven't had any problems with anything. I take care of her.......she takes care of me!!! Yes, my car is a 'she'. Overall, she's a great car and as a single mom who can't afford any extra expenses, this car is perfect!!!