Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

What was I thinking?!
By slcarter81

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

So the pros for this vehicle are: great gas mileage and comfort. After reading the reviews, perhaps I purchased a lemon but I will never recommend this car to anyone. 15 minutes after driving this car off the lot, all my lights came on. Fortunately the dealership replaced the hybrid battery. I have had to change the sensors and now it is burning oil. There is NO pick up in this vehicle. If you live in the mountains, do not buy this car. Every one will be passing you! After about a year of having this car, I am in the market for a new vehicle.

Favorite Features

mileage

Poor man's hybrid
By profwho

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought mine in 2009 for $7500 and 140,000 miles on the odometer. Now it has almost 200,000 miles and not a sneeze! The 1.3L engine is a little slow even with electric assist, but not as bad as most people think. I have no trouble merging on highway. Going up a long stretch of highway need to move to the slow lane, esp. after all the battery capacity is drained. Without A/C, the average gas mileage is pretty good, hovering between 44 to 50 MPG. In the summer, however, when it is hot outside, A/C can sap gas mileage, esp. on short local trips. On longer trips, the A/C does not drain as much energy because once the interior cools down, the A/C is not engaged as frequently.

Favorite Features

I really like manual transmission, and have a small family to haul. This is the best combination of gas mileage, fun factor, practicality and cost.

Suggested Improvements

More efficient A/C compressor. This car has a mechanical (not electric) A/C compressor that requires the gas engine running. But it is a decade old technology, probably still pretty good and competitive compared to other cars of the same age.

the best looking hybrid ever built
By lam_9

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my car. I got it because of the gas prices going up and I loved the way it looked. I don't regret it. I get about 45mpg because I like to speed. It is light, small, and fun to drive. The one thing that I just don't like is when I'm driving up those crazy steep hill going to Las Vegas. I have to catch momentum and then keep it on 3rd gear.

Favorite Features

The body. I still believe it is the best looking hybrid ever built.

Suggested Improvements

The power. It's hard to go up on long steep hills.

200,000+ and still going
By nelsonoah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Update to my 11/19/09 review. I'm still driving it and have done nothing but regular stuff (oil/filter, brakes, tires). I now have roughly 205k miles on it. The IMA warning light came on about 1.5 years ago (around 190k miles). Honda said the hybrid battery was testing weak and needed replaced ($2,500 and 3-year/30k warranty). I decided not to replace it and to just see what it'd do. Battery doesn't keep charged up as well as it used to, but I'm still getting over 40mpg driving in town. I found a place that will put in a used battery with a 1-year guarantee for $1,275. Besides the battery, everything else seems to be in great shape.

Favorite Features

Hybrid battery - originals were guaranteed for 100k and mine is still doing great work at 205k Other major components seem to be of great quality as I have had to fix nothing out of he ordinary. Radio/speakers, AC, heat, clutch, automatic locks/windows, transmission...all of this stuff still works perfect.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish was that there was more information out there on what happens when your hybrid vehicle gets very high mileage and what you can expect from your vehicle if the battery gets old or goes bad. I'm glad I decided not to pay Honda $2,500 for a used battery when mine has been fine for 15k and continues to work.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

Favorite Features

The mileage is obviously its greatest feature. The trunk space is also good sized for a compact car. Rear passengers have plenty of room. I also enjoy the instant mpg meter, which pretty much "teaches" you how to achieve the best miles per gallon. It's changed how I drive a vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car came with a moon roof option. Highway mileage is best driving at about 55-65 mph. Would be nice if you could get in the 45mpg range going 80mph on the interstate instead of about 35mph. That's more of "wishful thinking" than suggested improvements though.