Used 1991 Honda Civic CRX HF Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Civic-crx - Consumer Reviews

1991 Honda Civic CRX

View reviews for a specific Civic CRX model:

Best car for gas and reliability
By tigerfury007

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

I bought a used 1991 Honda CRX in 2009 this thing got 35mpg and fast quick sporty while doing it. Never once stranded. CONS: Little road noise in cabin only 2 seater but overall a great car sadly sold it a month ago to a person who needed a car and payed me more for what I paid for it. HONDA please bring the crx back in production!!!

Favorite Features

Sporty design, plenty of room for a small car surprisingly, cheap to maintain, very cheap on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Bad road noise sometimes

200+ miles and run
By crx2cruz

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

I have a lot of fun driving my 91 CRX HF. It dose not have a lot of power, but it get some grate miles. I was getting 40MPG with the stock wheels, now I'm getting 35MPG that due to the large 17" wheels. I have had to do some normal services. Like timing belt, drive belts, ignition cap/rotor/coil/wire/plugs, and battery. clutch and trans bearings. I think the most expensive thing was the trans work i did at 200,000miles, i spent $400 on replace clutch, trans input shaft bearings, axles because they were out, and i have to say it was not hard to do with an avg. set of tools.

Favorite Features

I enjoy driving it hard, taking hard turns, even with its low horse power out put.

Suggested Improvements

The only things that i would like it to have is: AC, power windows, and cupholders. But even with out this items it great to drive and gets great miles.

CRX HF Rocks
By CRX_Rocks

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

I've had it for 4 years and this car has been a great car! Low maintenance (no major repair), average 42 mpg (hard driving - lead foot), and fun to drive (even though it has low horse power 68 hp?, I can still easily go to 85mph and zig zag through the traffic at any time). People keep asking me to sell it to them. Although, I'm much older to drive this car, my heart is still attached to it. How come they don't make cars like these any more. I don't mind compromising power for mpg. After all, 68 horsepower is sufficient to pass almost every car in the cross-country highway. I can go over hills w/o much trouble. Got to love it. This car rocks!

Favorite Features

Great MPG (42 average and I drive hard!) Simplicity, no mechanical problems (minor stuff). Rear design (the more I look at it, the more I like it).

Suggested Improvements

Rear space/seating. Radio/Heater design/location is not ergonomical. No cupholders, but is hard to drink anything when driving manual. How about diesel engine for higher torque? That would increase at least to 80 MPG. Oh, and safety. If you're hit by an SUV, you're dead.

One of Honda's best
By stangbanger

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

This is the 3rd C-rex I have owned. I love the fuel mileage and the looks of the HF, but it lacks the power to pass on the freeway. Good car for mods, which I will be doing to this one. Best bet is to get an Si because you will have to spend some more $$$ to upgrade other models.

Favorite Features

Storage room, Si seats, fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power!!

Attractive appearance and performance
By Frank Mansion

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

Currently at 95K miles and 15 years old my HF model gets 47.5 MPG.When it was 3 years old the a/c compressor clutch failed and was converted to R134a.It cools to 40F which is just as good as R12.I can pick up the transmission with one arm so replacing the clutch was easy.The car is now worth less than my wristwatch and parts on ebay are available cheaply. I have maintained the paint and get asked if it is repainted. The air conditioner control panel cracks easily so be careful turning the knob. A replica control panel from a restoration company would be nice along with foam seat buns. The distinctive styling is still attractive and the CRX will always be the most fun for the money.

Favorite Features

Steering is quick and brakes good which are its major safety features.My 47.5 MPG is at 70 MPH so the excellent aerodynamics really make the difference.The computer has a flashing LED to tell you what is wrong,this is the car to have if you want to avoid mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

Replace your rear trailing arm bushings since they do not last.Tuners remove HF parts so go buy a pair of front knuckles on eBay in order to swap out if your wheel bearing fails.Black Again was a good preservative for the exterior but was sold and reformulated and now inferior.