Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

97 Accord very reliable
By jh0212

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Have a 97 accord 4-dr EX w/ 184K miles now. Very reliable. Has lost a little juice and feels underpowered now compared to newer cars, but otherwise runs great. Only problems/complaints: (1) Warped rotors (replaced once, new set warped again), (2) paint is faded and splotchy now, (3) driver's side window slow to slide back up, esp on cold days, (4) A/C is not very strong, (5) mileage is so-so (about 24 mpg in mostly fwy driving, but I don't exactly obey the speed limit either). Not most exciting handling, but more responsive than Camry or some American cars I've driven. Never get tired of my car. Would definitely buy another or recommend to someone.

Great reliability. Relatively fun to drive. Visibility out is good (compared to newer cars).

Need stronger AC, better power windows, better paint job. Front rotors shouldn't warp so easily. Should've gotten the V6 or waited another month for 98 Accord. Decent handling, could be better. Could be quieter.

Runs Forever
By Runs Forever

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Finally retiring our 97 Accord LX for a new 2005 Accord LX replacement after 209,000 miles. Engine & Drivetrain still going very strong, but rest of car starting to go. This is by far the best and longest lasting car my wife (aka lead foot) has ever owned. Still getting 24 MPG, we have changed the oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on this car and will continue doing the same with the new one.

Handling, acceleration, very comfortable seats (Front and Back), car fits like a glove. Reliability

1) More durable paint job, the car looks like it's been sandblasted after all of these miles. 2) Greater resistance to door dings - the car seems to pick up a new one every month or two from the local shopping center. 3) Radio should come with an audio input jack for MP3's, CD's, MD's ect.

Wag On!
By texasblueknight

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

This Honda Accord EX Wagon was my first brand new car and the last wagon in the dealership showroom. Almost eight years and 83500 miles later, it is still as reliable as the day we bought it. Absolutely no issues, save for the sluggish driver side power window. A recent tune up has made the ride and drive like brand new again. I've since bought a Toyota Sequoia and a Lexus LS400 but the wagon is still my daily driver and will likely remain so for years to come.

A lot of cargo space. Good gas mileage (24 - 26 mpg). Moonroof.

8 years, and virtually problem-free
By Ann Marie

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This was the first new car I ever purchased. Nearly 8 years and 130,000 miles later, I've hardly put any money into it other than regular maintenance and maybe 2-3 repair jobs in the $500 range. My last car, a Ford Topaz, I got rid of after it was 6 years old and had only 85,000 - and that was after the transmission was replaced. I plan on driving this Honda as long as possible, and because it's been so good to me I'm almost scared to buy a different type of car next time for fear that no other can match its reliability.

That it starts every day, rides well and is easy to drive. After nearly 8 years of Cleveland weather, it still looks nice too!

i love my honda!
By accord ny

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I own a 97 Accord EX 2dr. I purchased the car 9 months ago and have put 16,000 miles on it. I've driven it from NY to FL 4 times and all I have done is change the oil. I owned a 96 Civic before this, and would definitly buy another honda. The check engine light is on, but I'm not sure why. It's probably something small since I've put 12,000 miles on it like that. Drives very smooth, good gas mileage, roomy trunk for such a small car, the sound system sounds great even though it's stock. i love all the features too, because mine has the 6-disc changer and sunroof. the power windows are slow, especially the passenger side one. overall, a fabulous car that i would reccomend to anyone.

reliability, fuel economy, smooth ride and handling

power windows